Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I have an old Motronics DC Motor that I need to decode the part number on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickneipp

I have an old Motronics DC Motor that I need to decode the part number on the side.
It has no data plate and only the following number and date:

34287-14-260-02
APR 1980

I don't think I can get parts to repair this DC motor, so I am looking for the specs, so I can replace it.

Does anyone have any docs that might tell me the: Voltage/Amps/RPM/Power etc.??

Thanks, Nick

Attachments

• Motronics DC Motor.jpg
    Motronics DC Motor.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 188
Do you know what voltage is supplid to it?
What is it powering?
Dimensions?

Any information you supply may make it possible for a member to recognize it or suggest an alternative.

Mike
edit is the black part holding one of a pair of brushes? Have you checked the brushes?

It looks like the brush, brush spring and cap are missing (threaded hole showing).

It is out of my sisters old Pottery Wheel. The wheel is 110 volts ac, but there is a circuit board that is doing some damage to that.

Some repairman removed the brushes and caps. That is the hole seen, and there is another on the other side, 180 degs. I do have a baggie of parts that include the brushes.

The Dimensions are: 7" long x 3" Dia with a 0.5" diam shaft.

Is the pottery wheel variable speed? If so, the electronics is probably a speed control. Is there a plate anywhere (on the machine, not motor) which has any amperage or wattage rating? My guess would be a universal brushed motor and should be replaceable with a similar (physically) sized one.

Mike.
Edit, am looking on my phone so didn't notice the missing brushes.

Tell your sister to buy a new pottery wheel. The cord looks a bit friable (crispy).

Pommie
Small on the iPad too, put your eye really close to the screen - then it looks like this:

D5AF8F51-C741-452F-B4BA-1B87FFC2A0EA.jpeg

If you get the brushes back in, if they are in good shape, you could back feed (rotate) it and check the generated voltage and extrapolate the rough value for the supply.
A motor like that would be a minimum of 2000 rpm, so confirm the speed you rotate it at and calculate the voltage at 2krpm.
Max

A pottery wheel on high speed should spin at 250 to 300rpm. Work backwards from there with any gearing/pulleys/belts.
Measure the output voltage across the large capacitor when it is plugged into the wall (BE CAREFUL - if your meter has clips, use them and then plug in and read dc volts. Otherwise come back for advice but. be careful!). I'm guessing 90vdc.

Get a new PWM motor controller. Very nice method for low rpm torque on a pottery wheel.

Here are the baggie of parts. It looks like one of the "Brushes" is missing.

Attachments

• Motronics DC Motor Parts.jpg
    Motronics DC Motor Parts.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 172
Measure with a digital caliper and you may find one or at least close that you can carefully sand down, there has to be no slop.
Mainly sized in metric these days.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back