Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I chose this UPS, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food for thought (Yea, don;t know what your referring to), but I'll take a "stab" at the definitions.

Continuous: Basically a float type charge. UPS is always at full capacity. Downside is probably difficulty determining battery condition.

As needed: Battery can self-discharge thus making it possible to determine battery condition at the expense of eratic "reduced" run-time. So, let's say the battery self-discharges to 90% capacity and then charging takes over. So, you could have a battery that ranges from 90% to 100% of capacity depending on when the failure occurred. The time to self-discharge may be related to battery condition.

Hi

I dont know what your referring to here. There is no control over how it charges...

eT

I'm just worried about the battery's overcharging and swelling. But, if I replace them each year then maybe I'll be ok.

Food for thought (Yea, don;t know what your referring to), but I'll take a "stab" at the definitions.

Continuous: Basically a float type charge. UPS is always at full capacity. Downside is probably difficulty determining battery condition.

As needed: Battery can self-discharge thus making it possible to determine battery condition at the expense of eratic "reduced" run-time. So, let's say the battery self-discharges to 90% capacity and then charging takes over. So, you could have a battery that ranges from 90% to 100% of capacity depending on when the failure occurred. The time to self-discharge may be related to battery condition.

I doubt I will be completely down typically it's just dirty voltage in the older building. Eventually they plan on adding on the building and I'm sure they'er will be cost for electrical upgrades for the hole building.

They've been making jokes about the problem for at least 5 years.

A Floating charge really doesn't make the batteries last. As I said earlier, people that maintain, say fire alarms, just do a periodic replacement. You can afford to take the system down for an hour for testing and replacement. The frequency was 1 year. One air velocity detector could be cleaned when the number showed it was dirty. The other ones, just stopped a process, so now the cost of one with a readout is justified.

Dirty power is yet another thing. I am glad that you are considering a system with a connected equipment warranty. I ran an old MAC with a SCSI drive for 16 years at least 8 hours a day and I had zero hard drive failures. The only problem I had was dust and a floppy drive. So, the PM has to include cleaning of the dust/air filters.

Earlier I implemented the same conditioning on another (before PC) system where the cost of repair was maybe $800 to $1000.
Again, problems were reduced to dust, fans and floppy drives. A PM schedule dealt with the dust. No module or power supply failures after that.

I could deal with a power failure, but not a system failure. I think I now understand the need for server quality drives in certain systems.

I used a ONEAC power conditioner, about $1000, for 1200 VA (after seeing a demonstration) and an ISOBAR surge suppressor at <$100.

The reliability was exceptional.

If you are considering a diesel generator in the future, you have to make sure the UPS is capable of being generator supplied during the time it takes to crank and start. Our generator issues were related to forgetting to fill the fuel tank and mice.
The corporate entity had the responsibility of filling the gas tank and there was no remote indicator. The "user" really had no business inside the generator fencing. The mice problem surfaced when the generator failed to self-test. The self-test were without transfer.

Unfortunately, I was unable to convince management to automate three machines that had strange power issues. One machine had backup for "convienience" and could have also have some benefits.

It was more of a "If the power failure lasted more than 10 min" it is best to shut-down, otherwise the re-start would take about 8 hours.

The other three affected 6 machines, but control would be much more complicated. Same deal though. Extensive down time, if no one was around and the power fail lasted more than 15 minutes and the machine was in X-state. Too much power to back-up. Something like 5 HP at 208 V and 1000 W at 208 V * 6.

The simple solution worked MOST of the time preventing the major cleaning. I wanted to prevent a momentary power glitch from affecting the process when no one was around. I was told no. One risk: had to be designed, unproven and not off the shelf. Again, a 15 minute power off required one state and a 1 second power off, basically would have allowed the system to re-start uninterrupted.

Because of a manual valve in some of the systems and if you had left it open and the power was out for more than 15 minutes, you would be out of commission for a week. So, don't do that.

The systems were a cryopump and an electric/water liquid Nitrogen replacement system and it's associated vacuum evaporator and diffusion pumps.

The systems were a cryopump and an electric/water liquid Nitrogen replacement system and it's associated vacuum evaporator and diffusion pumps.

You lost me on this, above my head. (Not your fault)

My only experience as of 3 weeks ago was going to another Campus of ours.

I was trying to Complete a Certification of one of our receive sites.

We Broadcast to the Receive Sites Audio and Video of the Class VTC "Video Teleconference"

A lightning storm came in and shut the Campus down, a previous storm had kicked that Generator out. So we had to force started the Mack Generator. It didn't work until we reset 2 breakers on the Unit.

It usually will senses and automatically come on, but the previous storm kicked the Breakers off, once we reset them, were good to go.

Unfortunately the Voltage only served the hallways, not the classrooms. Which is where my conferencing equipment is located.

I left to Certify another site 60 miles away, only to pull into the parking lot to find out, the power was back on, guess where I went after that?

That is my only experience with a Generator of that size and power, I was taken back by the complexity of the System and controls, the size of the Unit was Daunting.

But, all of that was so cool, I completely enjoyed that experience, I would do it again.

kv

I'm still confused on the charge. If I set up the charge as continuous rather than when needed. Which one may over charge?

The UPS your considering is a Line-Interactive type. The battery is charged "offline" by an internal charger. AC service power is conditioned by the UPS and drives the load. When a blackout occurs, an internal inverter switches on, powered by the battery, that then drives the load.

Since the battery is charged offline, and is not continuously driving the load, its charge is in a more constant state. So there is less chance of it becoming overcharged.
(that's not to suggest it cant or won't ever be overcharged, just much less likely).

When I mention "Runtime Calibration", that is more of a requirement for continuous type UPS's where the inverter is continuously being powered by the battery, that is in turn, continuously being charged by the charger. The charger is constantly varying its charge rate depending on the rate the battery discharges under load. For this type of UPS, there is a "Runtime calibration" that should be performed on a regular basis to ensure the battery is being charged at the appropriate rate. If this calibration is not performed, then the charger has no reference to apply the correct rate of charge. As a result, the battery becomes overcharged and, over time, swells. If this condition is overlooked for too long, the battery can swell to the point it can't be easily removed from the UPS case without damaging the battery or UPS, or both.

Hope that helps

eT

yep, don't blame you for nor knowing what they are, but look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_pump There is mentions of cryopumps and turbomolecular pumps and you can follow the links. Then there is the real wierd one, the ION pump https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_pump Familiar with them all. I've seen diffusion pumps that were 6" tall to ones that were 6 feet tall.

An here is a list of the problems: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back