Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I can't seem to find these capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Joshi

Hello,

I am looking for these capacitors which are leaded and measure approx. 7mm height x 8.5mm diameter.

Capacitors.jpg

What type of capacitor should I be searching for? They look different to standard electrolytic capacitors.

Thanks.

My guess would be aluminium electrolytic capacitors. I'm also guessing that the black mark indicates the negative lead - does the arrow on the PCB align with the black sides? Only 1 arrowhead is visible.

Also, that looks like a very old board, any idea what year it was manufactured?

Mike.

They look like Polymer Electrolytic Caps - made by Panasonic, Nichicon and some others.

RS still sell them and I should think other major component suppliers will have them too.
Thanks, I can't seem to find the same profile. Is there anything special about polymer ones? Is it lower ESR and size?

We've used similar style ones in the past, but I cannot figure out where they came from! I'd guess Farnells, though they do not seem to do that wide, low profile style any more.

LowProfileCapacitor.jpg

They may well have been discontinued by the manufacturers in favour of surface mount ones.

If the exact size / proportions are not important, then there are a few types available:

I would suggest normal electrolytics would be perfectly fine, are you sure the existing ones are faulty?.
Going to desolder them and check. Can't measure them properly in-circuit. It's for a backlight inverter board where the fuse has blown. Lots of darkening on the PCB.

Going to desolder them and check. Can't measure them properly in-circuit. It's for a backlight inverter board where the fuse has blown. Lots of darkening on the PCB.

I would say it's VERY, VERY unlikely to be those capacitors. Have you replaced the fuse?, and did it blow again? - inverter fuse failure for no reason is common.

If the screen LED or CCFL?.

It's a CCFL on an old Sony Bravia TV. Haven't replaced the fuse yet. Why is fuse failure common?

I've always presumed it's simply aging/failure of the fuse, no cause for it.

Replace the fuse, it will be perfectly fine - as a Sony Dealer Engineer I replaced countless inverter fuses (SM ones) in numerous Sony sets - and in fact I have one of them in my bedroom. Incidentally the fuse is on the inverter board, which is part of the LCD panel assembly, and which isn't a Sony part at all.

When removed from the boards, almost all 20 of the capacitors measured out of spec between no reading to typically 80-140µF.

Attached is a photo showing the burnt PCB leaded fuse. Looking at photos of other inverter boards for sale, it seems to be a F10A. Is anyone able to confirm from the schematics?

Attachments

• Burnt fuse.jpg
    Burnt fuse.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 210
Is it definitely an F10A?
As it's not a Sony board there's no schematic for it, and no information at all (it's supplied by the LCD panel manufacturer as part of the LCD).

It's been so long now I can't remember what I used to fit - but stick your meter on the 10A range across the fuse, and measure what current it takes (that's what I did originally).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back