Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I can measure current with a voltmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

I made a shunt with a bit or resistence wire.

Now I can measure current again with my multimeter on voltage mode, since I blew up the current reading part of my multimeter.

I can read from .0001 amps up.

I'M EXCITED :D !

In my college days
I made parallel combination of various shunt resistors (it took a bit of calculations:)) and connected one end of the all the shunts to Ground and other to a switch and marked the switch with various current ranges and voltage dividing factor :) and used my voltmeter in 0-10V range.

Hi Instruite,
Man, your current meter had a huge big burden! :lol:
I think the voltage drop of a current meter is called its "burden".

Hi Audioguru
Well I didnt know it was call burden but then I guess my current meter handled the burden very well :) :lol:
I used it for around two years and leater it was use by my juniors for a year or so after that I dint know what happened to it
But I hope my current meter is handling its burden now also :D

And you are sure that a 10V burden does not affect any of the circuits that the current you wanted to measure in the first place?

Well Guys
I think you misundertood me
When I said I used 0-10V range I meant the range my voltmeter was in
Well the voltmeter I had in college age was quite a cheap one and its minimum range was 0-10V (but it cld i think display around 2 or 3 decimal places I dont remember exatcly now)
And I think the maximum I measured was 5A which I guess dropped arnd 1.5V or so which was OK for the circuit I was measuring in. and the minimum current measurable was around 10mA

audioguru said:
Hi Instruite,
Man, your current meter had a huge big burden! :lol:
I think the voltage drop of a current meter is called its "burden".

I've never heard that term, I know it as "insertion loss".

My Fluke DVM calls its voltage drop across its current shunt its burden.

So Instruite had a few volts of burden plus maybe another few volts of loss across his meter's connecting leads. Lots of loss. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back