I can measure current with a voltmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

I made a shunt with a bit or resistence wire.

Now I can measure current again with my multimeter on voltage mode, since I blew up the current reading part of my multimeter.

I can read from .0001 amps up.

I'M EXCITED !

In my college days
I made parallel combination of various shunt resistors (it took a bit of calculations) and connected one end of the all the shunts to Ground and other to a switch and marked the switch with various current ranges and voltage dividing factor and used my voltmeter in 0-10V range.

Hi Instruite,
Man, your current meter had a huge big burden! :lol:
I think the voltage drop of a current meter is called its "burden".

Hi Audioguru
Well I didnt know it was call burden but then I guess my current meter handled the burden very well :lol:
I used it for around two years and leater it was use by my juniors for a year or so after that I dint know what happened to it
But I hope my current meter is handling its burden now also

And you are sure that a 10V burden does not affect any of the circuits that the current you wanted to measure in the first place?

Well Guys
I think you misundertood me
When I said I used 0-10V range I meant the range my voltmeter was in
Well the voltmeter I had in college age was quite a cheap one and its minimum range was 0-10V (but it cld i think display around 2 or 3 decimal places I dont remember exatcly now)
And I think the maximum I measured was 5A which I guess dropped arnd 1.5V or so which was OK for the circuit I was measuring in. and the minimum current measurable was around 10mA

audioguru said:
Hi Instruite,
Man, your current meter had a huge big burden! :lol:
I think the voltage drop of a current meter is called its "burden".

I've never heard that term, I know it as "insertion loss".

My Fluke DVM calls its voltage drop across its current shunt its burden.

So Instruite had a few volts of burden plus maybe another few volts of loss across his meter's connecting leads. Lots of loss. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…