Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I am looking for a 2nd opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-kc7byp

I have a 7" TFT portable DVD player model DUR-1700. The power requirements are 9VDC positive tip @ 2.2 amps. The rechargeable battery pack is a LHON 7.4v @ 4000mah. I have an old GME gfp241DA-1220 switching power pack 12vdc @ 2.0 amps. So far the DVD player and its rechargeable battery pack seems to not be squawking about the 3 volt increase. I am just concerned as to what the 3 volt increase will do over a long period of time to the DVD player. Now I can get 1 of those pre-made 12vdc to 9vdc bricks @ 2.0 amps on Ebay fairly cheap and put it inline on the output cable of the power pack. I have been scrounging the thrift stores and Ebay for a power pack at 9vdc @ 2.5 amps. The power plug that will fit the DVD player I can easly scrounge.

Steve

Hi Steve,

You can't tell what will happen with a 3V over-voltage on your DVD player. Chances are, it will be OK long-term especially as it is working OK now. All the same, I would not advise it. If it was my DVD player I wouldn't even think about putting 12V on it!

Your best approach would be to supply the DVD player with the supply voltage that it is designed for. Two ways are suggested: either get a 9V power source or drop the voltage of the 12V power supply to 9V. My feeling is that the first is by far the simplist and best- you can use your exiting 12V supply for other applications too.

Which approach would you like?

I dont know what your mains supply voltage is, but for 230V, this sort of thing would probably do your job. You should be able to find a version with the correct connector for your DVD player:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-AC-DC...adaptor-fit-5-5x2-1mm-5-5x2-5mm-/190773515670

**broken link removed**

The question is can you afford it- they are hellish expensive :D

Last edited:
I probably will have to go with 12v to 9v down converter because I just can't find a 9vdc power pack @ 2.2 amps or higher without buying one that is specifically made for this DVD player. I am looking at a converter on Ebay sale #271988570314 the spec's say it can handle Output current:Rated current is 2A,maximum 3A(Additional heatsink is required). I think it will do the job. With looking at the pictures I am just not sure as to what kind of heat sink and how to mount the board to the heat sink. By the way I do have a variable voltage laptop power supply for testing because when I can afford the exture cash I go to the gov surplus auction and buy a pallet full of laptops and fix them up and sell them to ppl on fixed low incomes for a price that they can afford or barter for. They aren't the fastest computers in the world but u can get online with them and play games with them.

Hi Steve,

You can't tell what will happen with a 3V over-voltage on your DVD player. Chances are it will be OK long-term especially as it is working OK now. All the same, I would not advise it. Your best approach would be to supply the DVD player with the supply voltage that it is designed for. Two ways are suggested: either get a 9V power source or drop the voltage of the 12V power supply to 9V.

Which approach would you like?

My appologies I read your 2.2A as 2A but that makes very little difference.

Can I suggest this: put an ammeter in the input line to the DVD player and measure what the maximum current is for all the DVD functions: loading a DVD, playing and ejecting. That will tell you what current it really needs. I would be surprised if it is 2.2A. Besides which, although the wall warts that I listed are rated at 2A they should supply 2.2A- they dont normally cut off at their spec limit- some may but it would be unusual.

UPDATE
When measuring the input current demand, if your DVD player has a power stage to drive ear buds or loudspeakers, plug them in, turn the volume up to max and play some music with a lot of content: reggae with plenty of bass for example.

The buck converter you mention,

**broken link removed**

will almost certainly power the DVD player without a heat sink. But this board level approach is not only more expensive (you would be buying 10) but will involve more work and problems.

My advice is to go for a wall-wart. I'm sure there is a suitable one.

If you lived nearby I could give you one- I have a heap of them.

I assume, as you have looked on Ebay.com, that you are in the US with 110V mains supply.

Intresting about you other activities. I used to do similar things!

I will have a quick look on Ebay.com and come back.

Last edited:
I live in Kennewick Wa. As for those Adjustable-Power-Supply-Step-Down-Modules I was plainning on using 1 for the DVD player and sell the rest at the Mike & Key hamfest on March 5th in Puyallup Wa.

My appologies I read your 2.2A as 2A but that makes very little difference.

Can I suggest this: put an ammeter in the input line to the DVD player and measure what the maximum current is for all the DVD functions: loading a DVD, playing and ejecting. That will tell you what current it really needs. I would be surprised if it is 2.2A. Besides which, although the wall warts that I listed are rated at 2A they should supply 2.2A- they dont normally cut off at their spec limit- some may but it would be unusual.

The buck converter you mention,

**broken link removed**

will almost certainly power the DVD player without a heat sink. But this board level approach is not only more expensive (you would be buying 10) but will involve more work and problems.

My advice is to go for a wall-wart. I'm sure there is a suitable one.

If you lived nearby I could give you one- I have a heap of them.

I assume, as you have looked on Ebay.com, that you are in the US with 110V mains supply.

Intresting about you other activities. I used to do similar things!

I will have a quick look on Ebay.com and come back.

These should do your job:
(Item 3 would be my choice, but that is just an engineer's point of view)

(1) 9V@ 2.2A
**broken link removed**

(2) 9V@2.2A
**broken link removed**

(3) Variable 3.8A
**broken link removed**

(4) Variable 2.2A
**broken link removed**

(5) 9V@2.2A
**broken link removed**

(6) 9V@3A
**broken link removed**

(7) 9V@3A
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-9v-3A-...888034?hash=item2ca383d922:g:5MYAAOSwo6lWKWgW

(8) 9V@4A
**broken link removed**

(9) 9V@2.3A
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shen-Zhen-Energizer-Power-Supply-Model-APS-A02409023W-G-Output-9V-2-3A-/321910282499?hash=item4af3591903:g:OAMAAOSwgQ9VnKU1

(10) 9V@3.5A
**broken link removed**

(11) 9V@4.5A
**broken link removed**

(12) Variable 5A
**broken link removed**

(13) 9V@2.5A
**broken link removed**

(14) 9V@2.5A
**broken link removed**

(15) 9V@2.5A
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Po...490528?hash=item20fc65e860:g:awgAAOSwPhdVNk8J

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back