I am looking for a 2nd opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-kc7byp

I have a 7" TFT portable DVD player model DUR-1700. The power requirements are 9VDC positive tip @ 2.2 amps. The rechargeable battery pack is a LHON 7.4v @ 4000mah. I have an old GME gfp241DA-1220 switching power pack 12vdc @ 2.0 amps. So far the DVD player and its rechargeable battery pack seems to not be squawking about the 3 volt increase. I am just concerned as to what the 3 volt increase will do over a long period of time to the DVD player. Now I can get 1 of those pre-made 12vdc to 9vdc bricks @ 2.0 amps on Ebay fairly cheap and put it inline on the output cable of the power pack. I have been scrounging the thrift stores and Ebay for a power pack at 9vdc @ 2.5 amps. The power plug that will fit the DVD player I can easly scrounge.

Steve

Hi Steve,

You can't tell what will happen with a 3V over-voltage on your DVD player. Chances are, it will be OK long-term especially as it is working OK now. All the same, I would not advise it. If it was my DVD player I wouldn't even think about putting 12V on it!

Your best approach would be to supply the DVD player with the supply voltage that it is designed for. Two ways are suggested: either get a 9V power source or drop the voltage of the 12V power supply to 9V. My feeling is that the first is by far the simplist and best- you can use your exiting 12V supply for other applications too.

Which approach would you like?

I dont know what your mains supply voltage is, but for 230V, this sort of thing would probably do your job. You should be able to find a version with the correct connector for your DVD player:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-AC-DC...adaptor-fit-5-5x2-1mm-5-5x2-5mm-/190773515670

**broken link removed**

The question is can you afford it- they are hellish expensive

Last edited:
I probably will have to go with 12v to 9v down converter because I just can't find a 9vdc power pack @ 2.2 amps or higher without buying one that is specifically made for this DVD player. I am looking at a converter on Ebay sale #271988570314 the spec's say it can handle Output current:Rated current is 2A,maximum 3A(Additional heatsink is required). I think it will do the job. With looking at the pictures I am just not sure as to what kind of heat sink and how to mount the board to the heat sink. By the way I do have a variable voltage laptop power supply for testing because when I can afford the exture cash I go to the gov surplus auction and buy a pallet full of laptops and fix them up and sell them to ppl on fixed low incomes for a price that they can afford or barter for. They aren't the fastest computers in the world but u can get online with them and play games with them.

My appologies I read your 2.2A as 2A but that makes very little difference.

Can I suggest this: put an ammeter in the input line to the DVD player and measure what the maximum current is for all the DVD functions: loading a DVD, playing and ejecting. That will tell you what current it really needs. I would be surprised if it is 2.2A. Besides which, although the wall warts that I listed are rated at 2A they should supply 2.2A- they dont normally cut off at their spec limit- some may but it would be unusual.

UPDATE
When measuring the input current demand, if your DVD player has a power stage to drive ear buds or loudspeakers, plug them in, turn the volume up to max and play some music with a lot of content: reggae with plenty of bass for example.

The buck converter you mention,

**broken link removed**

will almost certainly power the DVD player without a heat sink. But this board level approach is not only more expensive (you would be buying 10) but will involve more work and problems.

My advice is to go for a wall-wart. I'm sure there is a suitable one.

If you lived nearby I could give you one- I have a heap of them.

I assume, as you have looked on Ebay.com, that you are in the US with 110V mains supply.

Intresting about you other activities. I used to do similar things!

I will have a quick look on Ebay.com and come back.

Last edited:
I live in Kennewick Wa. As for those Adjustable-Power-Supply-Step-Down-Modules I was plainning on using 1 for the DVD player and sell the rest at the Mike & Key hamfest on March 5th in Puyallup Wa.

These should do your job:
(Item 3 would be my choice, but that is just an engineer's point of view)

(1) 9V@ 2.2A
**broken link removed**

(2) 9V@2.2A
**broken link removed**

(3) Variable 3.8A
**broken link removed**

(4) Variable 2.2A
**broken link removed**

(5) 9V@2.2A
**broken link removed**

(6) 9V@3A
**broken link removed**

(7) 9V@3A
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-9v-3A-...888034?hash=item2ca383d922:g:5MYAAOSwo6lWKWgW

(8) 9V@4A
**broken link removed**

(9) 9V@2.3A
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shen-Zhen-Energizer-Power-Supply-Model-APS-A02409023W-G-Output-9V-2-3A-/321910282499?hash=item4af3591903:g:OAMAAOSwgQ9VnKU1

(10) 9V@3.5A
**broken link removed**

(11) 9V@4.5A
**broken link removed**

(12) Variable 5A
**broken link removed**

(13) 9V@2.5A
**broken link removed**

(14) 9V@2.5A
**broken link removed**

(15) 9V@2.5A
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Po...490528?hash=item20fc65e860:g:awgAAOSwPhdVNk8J

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…