Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hyperterminal - Too many options

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
Yesterday I used Hyperterminal to communicate both ways with a 16F877. :)

To be honest it was sheer luck because I had no clear idea how to set it in my Win ME machine.

I was confused not only for the so many type of terminals it can emulate but also for the so many protocols Kermit, etc etc. :oops:

I googled but information is overwhelming. :shock:

Any simple advice on minimal settings to send and receive ASCII and eventually binary?.
:idea:
Additional, stupid question: having three COM ports in my PC (1, 2 and 4), the last with the phone modem, how I know beforehand if 1 or 2 will output through the 9 pins connector? Is any way other than testing to know that?

Help REALLY appreciated.

the best way to determine ports is by testing. if your pc is standard product (laptop or so) you might read manual...

operating PIC 16F877 from HyperTerminal

afferrari ;

I refer to your e-mail: Electro Tech Online Forum Index -> Micro Controllers;
Nov 15, 2005 7:08 am

I would like operate an external PIC 16F877 from HyperTerminal on my Windows XP computer.

Please explain the details of how the computer is connected to the PIC.
I was thinking of using electro-optic coupling to isolate the PIC to avoid
damage to the computer.

The use of ASCII is not clear to me so:
1. Can you send me an example of a command sent from HyperTerminal to the PIC 16F877 ?

2. Also an example of feedback from the PIC 16F877 to HyperTerminal ?

3. How are: baud, parity, stop, handshaking set?

Thanks for whatever information you supply !

marty

Username: hawk2eye

Re: operating PIC 16F877 from HyperTerminal

hawk2eye said:
afferrari ;

I refer to your e-mail: Electro Tech Online Forum Index -> Micro Controllers;
Nov 15, 2005 7:08 am

I would like operate an external PIC 16F877 from HyperTerminal on my Windows XP computer.

Please explain the details of how the computer is connected to the PIC.
I was thinking of using electro-optic coupling to isolate the PIC to avoid
damage to the computer.

It's uncommon to use optical isolation on the serial port, unless there is some specific problem with the connection. Mostly you would just use a MAX232 (or similar) to the PIC, this converts between the +/-12V of RS232 and the 5V of the PIC. Check my PIC tutorials for details.

The use of ASCII is not clear to me so:
1. Can you send me an example of a command sent from HyperTerminal to the PIC 16F877 ?

It's whatever you decide to make it!. If you like you could send an 'A' as one command, a 'B' as another?.

2. Also an example of feedback from the PIC 16F877 to HyperTerminal ?

Again, it's whatever you decide to make it!. It could send back 'Y' for a successful result, or 'N' for a failure - it's completely up to you.

3. How are: baud, parity, stop, handshaking set?

From a menu in HyperTerminal, and by your programming in the PIC. My tutorials use 9600 baud 8N1, that's 8 data bits, no parity, and one stop bit, no handshaking, this is probably the most common?.

nigel goodwin...THANK YOU !

nigel goodwin,

Perhaps a special "Thank You" message is out of place since you answer the questions of many other too, its become your routine.

Even so, let me convey a "Thank You" for answering my question ...
I have been pursuing Series Port to HyperTerminal information for over 6 months without result !

marty

Username: hawk2eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back