Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hydraulic arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedrah

I am building an underwater crawler dredge with camera and would like a to have a hydraulic arm like the picture I am attaching. Any help on where I can purchase the hydraulic cylinder lifts or to fabricate the component ?

see picture.

Attachments

• hydraulic.jpg
    hydraulic.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,890
Vague answer toa vague question

Depends on where you are, what you want to spend, what power you need, stroke length, fluid to be used ...

For a start try Radio Spares in the UK

mine is going to be a minature of the picture . My tracks are two feet long. I wil have a hose with a 3 inch diameter. It does not need to dig just to put the hose to the ocean floor and raise it up. Thanks for you quick reply

p.s. I live in the U.S. and am unable to order from the site you listed

Why not use pnuematics, it will be much lighter, cheaper and you could use your bouyancy tanks as air reservoirs. Since the air would just vent when you released the arm you could also see the bubbles on the surface and know its working. If a leak occurs, no big deal, but leave an oil slick on some bodies pond and you're going to have problems.

hydraulics vs pnuematics

I have already purchased various hydraulic cylinders lifts and power packs. I think pnuematics would be great but would they be able to propel the tracks.. Let me know.. thanks

Choose a fluid ?

Pneumatics could easily run a motor - visit any garage and ask for a new tyre - pneumatic torque spanners, drills, etc are common.
You can only store so much air though, and when the "bouyancy tanks" are empty :?:

Hydraulic systems are commonly used where precision of position is required as there is much less 'spring' in the actuator.
I can't see any pollution problem with a water-filled hydraulic system, you also have the advantage of the robot being a constant weight (even if it leaks!) and so much easier to control its bouyancy, though the only bouyancy problem is likely to be staying down on the sea bed :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back