Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HV scope probe question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I have a fluke 87 scope and I need to measure voltage across a 450v cap.

The scope has a 300V rating on the inputs. The probes, however, have a 600V rating.

These are 10:1 probes though. So doesn't this mean that the scope will see only 45V, thus not exceeding the ratings for either the probe or scope?

I just want to know if I'm missing something, that's a nice expensive scope and I'd hate to toast it due to any misunderstandings.

You're good to go, Oznog. The probes will handle the voltage and (along with the 1M ohm scope input impedance) will knock the cap voltage down by a factor of 10, plenty safe for the scope. That's one of the reasons for using the attenuator probes. Others are higher input resistance for lower resistive circuit loading; lower capacitance for lower reactive circuit loading; resultant higher bandwidth capabilities for the scope. The only disadvantage of an attenuator probe is the loss of system sensitivity, and that's not usually a big problem in most instances.

Dean

Can we take this question a step further?

Assuming we can safely attach a scope probe to the cap, and I'm assuming it's part of a high voltage DC power supply. What are we looking for?

Reason I'm asking is a have a Tek 7904 scope and a tube amp with power supply issue. While I don't expect a pure dc output, I'm wondering how much ac in the ps is going to be a problem, if you have 450 volts dc how much ac is ok.

scope has ac and dc coupling, with a max vert input setting of 5v/cm or 50 volts 250 v max input w/ 10 x probe

So like above post, do I have a problem?
And what setting do I want to start with?

Using a x10 probe you should be fine, I've regularly used one on line output stages with over 1000V pulses on it - although the probes do VERY occasionally expire under the abuse.

We don't use Tek scopes though, I had one for evaluation and it had very limited voltage ranges, too low for our purposes, so we evaluated (and purchased) a Grundig scope, to replace the older Philips one (which also had more sensible voltage ranges).

But for scoping a valve HT rail, particularly if using AC coupling, you should be fine.

I don't know how much use you will find it though, I suspect you'll be horrified how much ripple there is :D

Thanks for the info.

I'm expanding my exposure to include tube audio, and I just acquired a 45 years old McIntosh amp and it worked quite well for a few days,
All the voltages check ok, but now a very loud ac buzz in the left and very quiet in the right channels. I just had readjusted tube bias, but still couldn't reach the spec's. I hope I didn't cause the damage, but manual said .7 and all I could get was .35

Time to put all this expensive test gear back to work and figure out what's broken but don't want to take out a scope amp in the process.
All the electrolytics are being replaced. Time to take the gloves off and do it right.

Reason I'm asking is a have a Tek 7904 scope and a tube amp with power supply issue. While I don't expect a pure dc output, I'm wondering how much ac in the ps is going to be a problem, if you have 450 volts dc how much ac is ok.
If you are measuring the AC component of the signal, an acceptable figure would be 5-6% AC ripple or less for a well designed PSU. However it's not uncommon to measure 10% and higher on some supplies. A lot of it depends what the PSU's application is for. A medical, life support device would require very low AC ripple of near 1-2% or less. A high ripple supply for a cheapo clock/radio on the otherhand isn't as critical.

I have a fluke 87 scope and I need to measure voltage across a 450v cap.

Last time I checked, a fluke 87 was a multimeter with a 10MΩ input impedance. You x10 scope probes are designed to work with a scope which has a 1MΩ input impedance. x10 scope probes are just a 10MΩ resistor in series with the signal lead & shunted with a frequency compensation cap.
If the "scope" has a standard 1MΩ input impedance, then yes, the probes will be fine for this application.
EDIT: ARRGH! Stupid me. The OP is from 2005!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back