1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Huge Pumpkins!

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Willen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

As I see on TV, there are huge pumpkins in some part of the world. I have never seen such HUGE foods even in TV/internet. Specially pumpkins described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Pumpkin_Regatta If some member here are from this part of the world then I would ask about its reality. It's real food or not ? Hybrid food or local? Specially grown or ordinary there?

2. jpanhalt

jpanhalt Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

3. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

There are load's of giant vegetable contests in the UK, a lady at work competes in local shows every year.

My daughter's Dutch boyfriend is totally bemused by this, he can't believe people have vegetable and flower competitions.

I once took a top of the range VHS VCR to a customer, in the fairly early days of VHS, the customer wanted it for playing his tape from the BBC, as he broke the world record for growing the largest onion :D

4. dave miyares

Dave New Member

5. KeepItSimpleStupid

KeepItSimpleStupid Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

6. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

In what type of climate the gient pumpkins growing? If I have luck and got a piece of seed, then can I grow in my farm too. :) (my sorrounding ot ~40°C temperature around summer and ~10° around winter)
    I guess these are not gient pumpkins.

7. jpanhalt

jpanhalt Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Willen
    Your temperature extremes are well within Minnesota's. Minneapolis (largest city) goes from a little over 40°C to -30°C (104°F to <-20°F). Apparently , the winters are considerably colder than yours.

However, temperature is not the only variable. You need the right cultivars and length of daylight. The longest day in Summer at Minneapolis, Minnesota is about 15h 30min. Minnesota ranges between latitudes 44°N and 49°N. Note: Days are long, but growing season is short.

Another example to illustrate the effect of length of day is Fairbanks, Alaska (64.8°N). It also has giant vegetables -- it is somewhat "famous" for huge cabbage-- and very long days in the Summer (Sun just dips below the horizon, https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/fai...anks-says-hello-to-72-straight-days-of-light/ ).

upload_2017-12-30_1-57-49.png
    Source: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio...564221-Wedgewood_Resort-Fairbanks_Alaska.html

John