Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HT12D and HT12E encoder/decoder issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
interrupt 2x instead of 1x

Been hacking this for a day and a half trying to configure to get one interrupt to enable LED on portA.5 but getting two cycles through code instead of one.
When I started I was getting 3x.
I only need 1x
Also thinking I should get a lower current draw during SLEEP. Presently drawing 4,2ma during sleep.
Code:
{
*  Name    : UNTITLED.BAS                                                   *
*  Author  : Doug                                *
*  Notice  : Copyright (c) 2013 [select VIEW...EDITOR OPTIONS]              *
*          : All Rights Reserved                                            *
*  Date    : 1/4/2013                                                       *
*  Version : 1.0                                                            *
*  Notes   :  had 3x but now 2x. Only need 1x                                                              *
*          :                                                                *
}

Device = 18F2420

Clock = 8
Include "InternalOscillator.bas"
Dim RBIF As INTCON.0  //port change interupt flag
Dim RBIE As INTCON.3 //port change interupt enable

Dim LED1 As PORTA.5
Dim led2 As PORTA.3
'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'interrupt
'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Interrupt PORTB_Change()
// Save(0) // Save the system variables
 If RBIF = 1 Then // Check if the interrupt was a PORTB change
// RBIF = 0  ' moved to end
 WREG = PORTB // Be sure to read the contents of PORTB to
 // clear the mismatch

// PORTB 7:4 has changed

LED1 = 0
 DelayMS(5000)
 Toggle (LED1)
 DelayMS(500)

EndIf
 RBIF = 0      // clear flag  this changed from 3x to 2x
// Restore // Restore the system variables
End Interrupt

Sub PORTB_Interrupts(Control As Boolean) // Small routine to enable/disable PORTB Interrupts.
 If Control = True 
 Then 
 RBIE = 1 //  interrupt enable bit
 Enable(PORTB_Change) 
 Else //
 RBIE = 0 //
 Disable(PORTB_Change) //
 EndIf //
End Sub

Inline Sub Sleep()
 Asm
 Sleep
 End Asm
End Sub

// Start Of Program...
TRISB = %11110000 // Make PORTB7:4 all inputs
//TRISC = %00000000 // Make PORTC all outputs

While True // Infinite loop
      PORTB_Interrupts(true) // Enable PORTB interrupts

Sleep // Put the PIC to sleep and wait for a change
 // on PORTB 7:4
Wend

fixed interrupt multiplies

moved the WREG = PORTB statement (clears the mismatch) after the interrupt does its thing (turn on LED).
Now to get the circuit to draw less than 4.4ma. Tried changing the osccon.bits(7) = 0 but didn't help(this is after the sleep instruction.)
Thinking of changing the clock frequency?

Code:
Interrupt PORTB_Change()
// Save(0) // Save the system variables
 If RBIF = 1 Then // Check if the interrupt was a PORTB change
 //RBIF = 0  ' moved to end
 //WREG = PORTB // Be sure to read the contents of PORTB to
 // clear the mismatch

// PORTB 7:4 has changed

LED1 = 0
 DelayMS(5000)
 Toggle (LED1)
 DelayMS(500)

EndIf
 RBIF = 0      // clear flag  this changed from 3x to 2x
// Restore // Restore the system variables
  WREG = PORTB // Be sure to read the contents of PORTB to
 // clear the mismatch

End Interrupt

changing the clock didn't change the current draw during SLEEP
tried using OSCTUNE=1000000 (min frequency)
open for suggestions unless this is it but read that .1ua is possible?

Found issue = I still had solder jumpers connecting a second switch and some LED cathodes. Contemplated during lunch
Got current draw down at present to .043ma.
Now to connect the transmitter and associated circuitry and connect up the HLVD connections and reprogram. I removed all connections to PORTB pins except the two turn switches (waiting for tilt switches and connect up filters as per data sheet.

I think you had other problems than pull-up resistors. The Impact of Pull-up Resistors shows the current draw.

If you have a 10k pull-up on a switch, the worst case current draw is 0.5 mA while the switch is pressed and close to nothing when the switch is open. Of course, this assumes the associated port pin is configured as an input. If it's configured as an output, the current draw would be 0.5 mA if the output was low (and nothing if high).

The current limiting resistors on LEDs won't draw any current if the LEDs aren't illuminated (assuming the LEDs are installed with the correct polarity).

However, it's good practice to open the solder jumpers for unused switches and LEDs on the TAP-28 board.

Last edited:
I opened all the solder jumpers except the S1 jumper and LED1 jumper.
Assembled a second Tap-28 w/o the crystal and reconfigured the connections of the transmitter pwr pin and any other connections I had to portB except the two switches I use to tell the PIC what to transmit (PortB interrupt). Today hopefully get the HLVD configured/connected for battery condition monitor as well as get my ports in code reconfigured.
AFTER I get this project as is working I am going to experiment using the 18F25K20 pic as it is much cheaper.
As a side note,, I see Tullys Coffee almost went belly up. Have had Tullys and IMO better that that high priced GREEN LABEl stuff so called coffee.

I find it interesting....

When it's pointed out that your conclusions don't make sense, that the current draw from an unneeded pull-up resistor is nearly 10 times what it would be in the worst case condition (the associated port pin a low output) and you just blow it off without a mention.

Don't you wonder if the pin was set to be an output? If the resistor was 10x smaller than the norm? Of if something totally unrelated got changed in the process? I've found that mysterious problems I ignore come back to bite me in the butt later on, always at the worst possible time. *shrug*. It's your project (with many hours of support by others!) so you can do what you want, but it seems like you'd have the intellectual curiousity to at least wonder.....

I didn't shrug off your response. I realized still had solder jumpers that needed to be removed. And yes I had the s1/rb5 as well as s2 and rb4 configured as inputs. My conclusion to remove the solder jumpers worked. I needed the s1 jumper still intact but after removing all the jumpers except for s1 the current went down as expected.
As far as things that bite in the butt, I reconfigured my code and failed to realize that I no longer had the external osc on board and the dang thing didn't work. It did before. Took a lunch break, a wisky-7 and realized that I had a different Tap-28 w/o the ext osc. Inserted internal .bas and all is well.
At present inserting code for the HLVD on RA.5 and can't find any reference if it can be connected directly to the Vdd w/o the voltage divider No clue so soldering in two resistors.
Have yet to see any reference in code that anyone has used this feature? but it looks fairly, easy just configure the HLVDCON register bits.page 243-247 and page 339 in the data sheet.

Battery monitor. I was wanting to eliminate the voltage divider as indicated in the schematic I posted using two 50k resistors then I realized the pic has an HLVD onboard.
Was wanting to just connect RA.5 to Vdd but data sheet shows a voltage divider. So much for progress.

Ummmm....speaking of measuring battery voltage....

In some version of what you're trying to do, you have the micro running from 2 or 3 presumably alkaline cells, and you want to use the micro's ADC to measure the battery voltage. What is going to be the reference voltage?

Some of the 18F K-series have some form of FVR (Fixed Voltage Reference), but depending on the chip in question, these work in different ways. There are some discussions of the FVR at Digital-DIY that explain how to use some of the variations. The 18F25K20 is the crudest form. It has an FVR, but it can't be used as a reference for the ADC. If Vdd is used as the reference, and the FVR channel is measured, some math allows determining what the actual Vdd value is. No voltage divider required but you have to follow the math to make it work. Other K-series parts do allow using the FVR as a reference so are a bit easier to use. Again, the details have been discussed at Digital-DIY.

As far as I am aware, the FVR is a feature of (some of the) K-series only. If you're going to use a non-K-series part, you need to provide a stable reference to the ADC. There are some references on this over there too.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but considering the details is kind of important.

I realize what your saying Jon, I am going by what the data sheet says. You specify the device voltage trip point and the direction of change.
the HLVD module is enabled, a comparator uses an internally generated reference voltage as the set point How it differs from what I have in my posted schematic--not sure so I will connect it up and vary the voltage just to see how well it works. If not, back to my original design of two 50k resistors as voltage divider(yea same as using the HLVD module?)
My big question is the diagram is for an external input. Wondering if connecting the Vdd directly to the HLVD input would work? No reference I have found to doing this. The module monitors for drops in VDD.
22.1 Operation
When the HLVD module is enabled, a comparator uses
an internally generated reference voltage as the set
point. The set point is compared with the trip point,
where each node in the resistor divider represents a
trip point voltage. The “trip point” voltage is the voltage
level at which the device detects a high or low-voltage
event, depending on the configuration of the module.
When the supply voltage is equal to the trip point, the
voltage tapped off of the resistor array is equal to the
internal reference voltage generated by the voltage
reference module. The comparator then generates an
interrupt signal by setting the HLVDIF bit.
The trip point voltage is software programmable to any one
of 16 values. The trip point is selected by programming the
HLVDL<3:0> bits (HLVDCON<3:0>).
The HLVD module has an additional feature that allows
the user to supply the trip voltage to the module from an
external source. This mode is enabled when bits,
HLVDL<3:0>, are set to ‘1111’. In this state, the
comparator input is multiplexed from the external input
pin, HLVDIN. This gives users flexibility because it
allows them to configure the High/Low-Voltage Detect
interrupt to occur at any voltage in the valid operating
range.
FIGURE 22-1: HLVD MODULE BLOCK DIAGRAM (WITH EXTERNAL INPUT)
Set
VDD

image.jpgWow. MrDEB may have stumbled across something that will work.

The unanswered question in MrDEB's post is of course the range of the High/Low Voltage Detect circuitry and therefore the need for a voltage divider. A little research in the data sheet found this table for a standard 18F-series part.

For this 5 volt part, there are 16 increments of about 0.2 volt spacing, but note the tolerances on the measurement. For example, setting 0111 can vary from 2.96 v to 3.28 v depending on chip tolerances. With the flat discharge characteristics of alkaline batteries, selecting the correct range may have to be done for each part.

I am not real concerned about accuracy, just want to indicate when the battery may need to be recharged with plenty of leeway.
The transmitter requires 2.4v so I was going for 3v to trigger the HLVD.
If I go with Vdd/10k/HLVD input/ 50K'grd to start. then set the HLVD for 2.44 or 2.60.
This should maybe cross our fingers give enough leeway. Perhaps a trim resistor but that's going overboard IMO
If not then perhaps just use the ADC but Microchip put the HLVD on the chip for a reason. I looked on the microchip site about this hoping to be able to connect directly to Vdd or other info but zero!
as far as batteries, am still considering rechargable

Geez oh grief. I hand this to you on a silver platter and you still don't get it... Between the table (the key piece you didn't even think to look for) and the schematic of the internal arrangement in the section you quoted from, you have EVERYTHING needed to UNDERSTAND how to make it work.

If you are going to make a reliable battery test, "I'm not really concerned with accuracy" is just not going to cut it.

It's somebody else's turn. Anybody?

I understand how it works but maybe and how to implement but I misunderstood something?
My goal is to have a simple LED indicator of battery condition. Accuracy in this application is OK but not a prime goal. When the user is done for the day of bike riding, if the battery is close to 3v then the LED begins to blink. I have a voltage divider made up of two 15K resistors connected to RA5. Just need to program the HLVDCON and see what the results are. but at the same time wondering if just using the ADC of say RA0 then using a FUNCTION statement would it be basically the same thing. BUT as stated, Microchip put this HLVD on the chip for a reason so might as well use it to make life simpler. One big advantage of using the HLVD is it probably uses a better implemented voltage reference than the ADC and or lower current draw.

DUH hit me on the head with a stick!!
while setting up the HLVD I see I don't need to connect the external voltage divider. Just program the desired bits unless an external voltage source is desired. So I want
hlvdcon = 00110110 which equates to 2.74 - 3.04 volts.
Will give it a go.

*shrug*

You are missing several points but that's not my concern.

Do you even know what the discharge curve for whatever-the-heck batteries you're planning on using looks like? Most are very flat until the battery is nearly dead, and then they drop like a rock. At 3 volts for a 3 alkaline cell pack, you'll have only minutes of warning before the batteries are dead.

"When the user..."??? If you are planning on selling this claptrap to the innocent public, you have to pay attention to the details. Somebody is going to get killed.

image.jpg

YES I need to decide on battery type so battery discharge curve is not known. My mistake 1
unit draws a max of 15ma intermittently but .04 during sleep so I need to calculate how long will batteries last between 2.5 volts and 3 volts at a 15ma discharge rate.
Battery pack, depending on battery chemistry is 4.5v (3-AA alkaline) or less as most rechargeable are 1.2v. Am avoiding Lithium Ion for exploding issues.
I realize I need more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back