Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HP DV9000 freezes in any progarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben7

I have an HP DV9000 17inch laptop that was working well until a few days ago. It will freeze in ANY program-games-security scans-internet-or even when searching for files. I'm quite sure it's not overheating and we already had the graphics chip replaced a few years ago. It unfortunatley has windows vista on it...

...Any ideas???

I have an HP DV9000 17inch laptop that was working well until a few days ago. It will freeze in ANY program-games-security scans-internet-or even when searching for files. I'm quite sure it's not overheating and we already had the graphics chip replaced a few years ago. It unfortunatley has windows vista on it...

...Any ideas???

I almost bought one of those a while back. Nice lappie but tends to run hot. Personally, I think that you have a component (could be anything) that has been stressed too much.....and has failed.

To put this all in perspective: I bought an Acer lappie way back in December 2006. Best bang for the Buck.
Acer's name was really crappy back then. I use it as a Desktop replacement with a cooling fan under the lappie. It's been going 16 Hrs a day since Day one in Dec 2006.

I took the precautions and this Lappie is good to live probably another couple of years.

It's all about cooling. Acer and HP both did crappy jobs on their Lappies back then :p.

Cheers

Try blowing out all the crap with an airline and see if that fixes it.

Mike.

Run this: MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows
Select as much ram as you can (but not more then there is fysical ram in the system - otherwise it'll start swapping to harddisk wich is slow and useless) and let it run for a long time - upto 1000% or so (not 100 ... 1000).
If there's anything wrong with your memory subsystem, this proggy will find it - it works way better then memtest86 wich has passed defective memory more then once over here.

If you get memory errors in this program, try removing 1 stick of ram, and then the other, also try using diffirent slots as the slot itself might be defective until you get no more errors.

If you don't get any errors with this program you can be fairly sure the memory is fine... then you can move on to test other things, but memory is the prime suspect with errors like these, besides malware ofcourse.

Last edited:
Run this: MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows
Select as much ram as you can (but not more then there is fysical ram in the system - otherwise it'll start swapping to harddisk wich is slow and useless) and let it run for a long time - upto 1000% or so (not 100 ... 1000).
If there's anything wrong with your memory subsystem, this proggy will find it - it works way better then memtest86 wich has passed defective memory more then once over here.

If you get memory errors in this program, try removing 1 stick of ram, and then the other, also try using diffirent slots as the slot itself might be defective until you get no more errors.

If you don't get any errors with this program you can be fairly sure the memory is fine... then you can move on to test other things, but memory is the prime suspect with errors like these, besides malware ofcourse.

The only problem is that you can't go into any program or it will freeze up bad.

I am currently swapping out the ram cards to see if they are bad.

Sorry for taking so long.

Anyways, the ram wasn't bad.

I took the whole computer apart to find that the heatsink was clogged with dust.
After a good cleaning, it now works, but it says that some errors in finding data are occurring.

Doing a virus scan, Norton stalls on some files and just says that an error reading the 'file' ??? has occurred.

The DV9000 normally runs hot, as the heatsink/heat transfer pipe are both very small, and the processor, graphics chip, and power supply are right next to each other.

Hard drive maybe?
Or could the CPU be partially fried?

There are a few free cooling fan pgms on the internet you can download to tazke full control of the fan(s) as you desire. Aside from overheating issues, also consider if you are running too many processes at the same time. Everytime you install another pgm. there's likely to be a part of it that wants to run in the background of use up a % of system resources (memory) further slowing down or stalling the PC. You can turn off uneccessary startup processes easily in Vista. Adobe pgms are famous for auto start up as well as Creative Soundblaster and other nonessential services like telephony/fax etc. if you aren't usin g them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back