Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How will i solder capacitor without thermal relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi,
I have done a 4 layer board with 1 oz copper, 1.6mm thickness. (2000W PFC’d LLC)
There are six ECWFG2J105J film caps on it. Unfortunately I forgot to put thermal reliefs on the Layer 2 of this capacitor’s ground pin. (I remembered it for the other three layers)
Pictures as attached...(and gerbers as attached)

ECWFG2J105J datasheet:
https://industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-data/pdf/RDL0000/RDL0000C245.pdf

I haven’t got the boards yet. When they arrive, will it be possible to solder these capacitors on? What is the cheapest “local heating” instrument that you can buy to heat this pin as I solder it? Some sort of mini hot-air gun sounds good?

Attachments

• Layer 2 _Capacitor close up.jpg
    Layer 2 _Capacitor close up.jpg
    810.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Layer 2 _whole layer.jpg
    Layer 2 _whole layer.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Gerbers _PFCLLCPCB _Corrected.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 196
Just get a higher power iron or a really massive tip. It wouldn't be that difficult.

Last edited:
Thanks, i have a 60w plug in iron and a 30w plug in iron, they are both not temp regulated.
Buy a decent iron - we're not in the 1960's - I thought you were supposed to work in the electronics industry?, how can you do that yet not have a useable soldering iron?.

Thanks, i dont earn any money ...may never.....just have costs......well over a thousand pounds so far for PCBs tools and components etc etc.
I notice that painters & decorators get government money for new vans etc, but as an EE.....no money can be received.
People may say its because i cant do the job, but in UK, there are streets and streets of LED streetlights with my offline PFC'd LED driver in them, which contains no el caps...

eg, the streetlights led drivers on the Ripple Greenway in London are my design...(at about 00:35)

..plus many more places.....but try and get financial help for anything is a joke.

Last edited:
but try and get financial help for anything is a joke.
People with jobs do not want to see their tax money going to help "people that are too lazy to work."
People without jobs understand very well how hard it is.

I wish you are closer. I probably can find an extra iron. Maybe there is someone on your side if the pond.

eg, the streetlights led drivers on the Ripple Greenway in London are my design...(at about 00:35)
..plus many more places.....but try and get financial help for anything is a joke.

What happened to the money you got for that design? Even with a small payout you could/should have bought a good solder iron.

What happened to the money you got for that design? Even with a small payout you could/should have bought a good solder iron.
As far as I understood it, he worked (for a little while) for the company who designed and built those lights - presumably as a fairly minor member of the team? (seeing as he continually asked here for advice, and doesn't even own a decent soldering iron). Going back even further, he seems to have had a series of fairly similar short lived jobs, presumably they aren't impressed, and let him go?.

Thanks, ...since you did touch on it above......its been mentioned before so i re-iterate here.....i am asking questions because of..
1.....my ignorance; 2.....My most utter lack of any engineering sense ; 3....My stupidity ; 4....My low IQ; 5.My total unsuitability for an engineering career..........and........
6.....It helps my brain to put out a question, as somehow, it "straightens" it out in my head
Thanks!

Its part 6 that is i think good for many people......mapping out a question in some way strangely helps solve the problem, even if no helpful answers are forthcoming.

Though i do of course, remain extremely grateful for and indebted , to the great answers which have come from this forum's superb members

Last edited:
For a start, don't mess about with extractor fans - you're just wasting money you haven't got. Use the money on buying a decent soldering temperature controlled iron, and you should get very little smoke anyway - plus you'll actually be able to solder things.

I would always recommend Antex irons, I've been using them for decades - they are extremely reliable, work well, and bits seem to last for ever.

I would suggest this for just an iron, with built-in temperature control:

I have the older version of this at home, with a screwdriver adjustment for temperature, I've been using it well over 30 years, and never had to replace the bit yet.

For a soldering station, this one:

I got this one for my boss at work a couple of years ago now, mine at work (again) is the older model - it was here when I started 5 years ago, I get through more than 0.5Kg of solder a year with it, and again I've never had to change the bit.

If you want to spend more, they do digital display versions as well.

Cheap crappy soldering stations are cheap for good reason - prior to ordering my boss the Antex, he'd been using cheap soldering stations from CPC, and they only lasted about a year each time.

..Thanks very much , ill seriously look into getting those after a month or so, when some more money may come in.
Im going to save your above email Nigel Goodwin, thankyou!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back