Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to work out an IGBT's maximum frequency is from its datasheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

si2030

Ok I am not an engineer just a keen hobbyst.

I have been looking at a number of IGBT datasheets and some of them indicated the top frequency on the datasheet but the majority do not.

From the details on an IGBT datasheet how can I determine the maximuim frequency the IGBT can operate at?

Kind Regards

Simon

I look at switching times to get a rough idea of what it could do. If it takes the igbt 2uS to turn on and 2uS to turn off, the absolute max it could do is 250khz. Then you need to consider how much switching loss you can tolerate.

I look at switching times to get a rough idea of what it could do. If it takes the igbt 2uS to turn on and 2uS to turn off, the absolute max it could do is 250khz. Then you need to consider how much switching loss you can tolerate.

those numbers should be /50 to get to hard switched ratings. IGBT speed ratings are closely related to temperature rise due to rise and fall times and NOT to the delay times.

Dan

If you need fast switching a MOSFET is usually better. IGBTs are mostly used in slow speed, high voltage switching applications such as 60Hz inverters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back