Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use a tranzistor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matasoft

I have a motor that operates at 12V. I want to control it through a Microcontroller. For example I want to give 5V to a component and then the motor to rotate. I want to use a tranzistor for this but I don't know how to connect it and what other components I will need. I don't want to use a relay. If anyone knows how I can do that please post the circuit and write the tranzistor model. :?:

matasoft said:
I have a motor that operates at 12V. I want to control it through a Microcontroller. For example I want to give 5V to a component and then the motor to rotate. I want to use a tranzistor for this but I don't know how to connect it and what other components I will need. I don't want to use a relay. If anyone knows how I can do that please post the circuit and write the tranzistor model. :?:

You need to post more specifications on the motor, for a start, what current does it take - startup current and stall current would also be helpful.

matasoft said:
The motor current is 600mA, 20W. Is it possible to use a transistor?

Of course it is possible but under what conditions will it be operating? Will it ever stall? Is it possible? You see, if you are to correctly choose a transistor to drive your motor, you need to be aware of these conditions. It wouldnt be very friendly if someone picked a transistor/ ckt for you and you ran it and then it fried itself. This is why the more information about how your motor will operate, the more others can assist you.

matasoft said:
The motor current is 600mA, 20W. Is it possible to use a transistor?

If the motor current is 600mA, and the voltage is 12V, that's 7.2W. Is 600mA the current you've measured?, and 20W the rating of the motor?.

If so it shouldn't be too hard to find a transistor to feed the motor, it's important that a transistor used as a switch in this way is turned on really hard (to keep heat dissipation low). You may need a driver transistor, or use a darlington transistor.

ULN2803

Use a ULN2803 darlington driver. It has 8 0-5v inputs and 8 500ma outputs that can be combined together for greater amperage output. They connect right to most microcontrollers without any extra parts. They are pretty cheap and easy to find. They have protection diodes built right in as well so you can run motors, solenoids etc. without a bunch of extra grief...in most cases.. There are also special circuits called h-bridges that can be used for direction control etc.

Resc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back