Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to trigger on releasing a push button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecritic

I am trying to design an automatic Door Bell curcuit.
I will be hiding a large push button under a door-mat. Whenever someone steps over the door mat and then moves out, I want the door bell to ring for some time and then stop. Please keep in mind that the door bell should start ringing only after the person leaves (after the push button is released).

I know that there are ICs that meet my demands. But I would like to do it as simple and as cheap as possible. I can afford a couples of relays (I already have) and large or small capacitors and some resistors. I am in no way able to buy a couple of ICs.

So, this is in some way a problem of economy too. Otherwise it would be very simple to do what I want by using, say, a microprocessor.

I am trying to design an automatic Door Bell curcuit.
I will be hiding a large push button under a door-mat. Whenever someone steps over the door mat and then moves out, I want the door bell to ring for some time and then stop. Please keep in mind that the door bell should start ringing only after the person leaves (after the push button is released).

I know that there are ICs that meet my demands. But I would like to do it as simple and as cheap as possible. I can afford a couples of relays (I already have) and large or small capacitors and some resistors. I am in no way able to buy a couple of ICs.

So, this is in some way a problem of economy too. Otherwise it would be very simple to do what I want by using, say, a microprocessor.

Can you afford a 6 pin micro controller (base line family) from microchip? this will cost you only 25-INR.(less than a 1$), so that you can give the intelligence what ever you wish...and make the circuit simple by avoiding bulky analogue... n passive RC time components....

I am sorry but I don't know how do I use them. Furthermore I don't know if those chips are available in my nearby local store or not.

I have just got an idea, but need some improvement. I need to use a double push button. Can you see some way round for using a single one.
trig-jpg.36406

Attachments

• trig.JPG
    trig.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 672
Here is a simple circuit using a slow release relay and a DC bell.

Attachments

• DB.GIF
    DB.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Pressing SW1 activates the slow release relay K which connects power to the bell through its contact K1 and its coil. The bell does not ring because it is shorted by SW1. When the button is released, the bell rings until the relay drops. Note that the current through SW1 must be equal or greater than the relay pull in current, and the current through the K/Bell circuit must be less than the relay release current.

I have just got an idea, but need some improvement. I need to use a double push button. Can you see some way round for using a single one.
trig-jpg.36406

Use a single pushbutton SPST, the bottom contact in your drawing defeats the whole purpose of your charging network. Also, buffer the capacitor current with a transistor to energize the relay coil.

Also, the coil needs to be connected across the cap to work. On second thought, I don't like the idea at all. Instead, find a switch with NO/NC contacts and do this:

Attachments

• BuzzDly.JPG
    BuzzDly.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back