Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test a heating element

Hi
We have a ninja air fryer which has blown it's internal fuse. It's a mains rated 3.15a fuse.

Afaik a heating element is just basically a giant resistor. So I measured it's resistance which worked out to be 31 ohms.

Now am I correct in saying at 230v, it will draw over 7Amps. If so then I believe I have found the problem

Yes, that sounds right.

Heating elements, lamp filaments etc. are normally "positive temperature coefficient", which means the resistance increases as they get hotter, and the current reduces somewhat - but it's still got to be able to warm up in the first place!

It is common for the resistance wire in a heating element to short to the casing. This should blow a fuse or trip a circuit-breaker.
31 Ohms suggests a 2kW-rated element.

Agreed, the 3.15A sounds more like an electronics fuse than main heating element power.

(I was still in somewhat zombie mode at 4am, sorry).

As per the double post, generally the fan stops working or is clogged.
Most counter top kitchen appliances, coffee makers et-al, have these fuses fitted for safety.

The 3.15 fuse appears to be mounted to the circuit board as FS1.. Why not place a 100 watt bulb in series with now missing thermal fuse and see if any other problems show up. (Fan,short,relay,etc).

I don't have a 100 watt light bulb.

I shorted both thermal fuses. Is it a good idea to have a thermal fuse on both the line and neutral? I thought it was frowned upon.

Anyway, it switches on now and the fan is working when I press start. If it fully works after replacing the thermal fuse, I will be stunned. I would be interested in knowing why all three fuses failed and yet there is no sign of a fault.

Seems coincidental to me.

There's a VDR across the mains, a mains spike could cause the 3.15A fuse to blow - but the thermal fuses would take more than that to blow (multiple numbers of seconds - perhaps minutes - for them to get to a high enough temperature). I wonder if perhaps the 3.15A fuse blew, and somehow left the element running with no control and no fan?.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back