Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to survive a crank with a inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

coma

i want to buy an inverter that will let me run a Pc from inside a car... my only problem is that when i crank the engine the inverter is sure to drop out since the starter motor draw about 300amps, i need to build a circuit that will let me survive a crank so that the PC im runing will not turn off then on....

Well, if you can fit tower case, CRT monitor, keyboard and mouse,
you should be able to find some room for UPS too or switch to laptop.

You have a PC in a car with a 300 Amp starter motor? That must be a big car with a mighty big engine :D .
Perhaps the best solution would be a seperate battery for the inverter, charged from the car engine while its running and disconnected from the starter battery when the engine is stopped.
This way you could not flatten your car battery by running the inverter for too long with the engine off.

Or, do as was already suggested, and as most computing in cars is done, use a laptop powered from the inverter. Since the laptop has an internal battery, momentary power glitches from the inverter have no effect.
You still can flatten the car battery to the point when it no longer will crank the 300Amp starter motor if you use your computer for too long :wink: .
Good luck

you could just run the computer directly off the battery. From there you can you use voltage regulators to power your equipment. The problem is that once you drain the battery to less than 12v the computer dies.

Then you have to find 240v for the monitor...

there are small 12v LCD screens with VGA input, they are mainly used for GPS systems so a monitor is not a problem nor is mouse since the screens are touch screens, a keyboard is easy to take care of. since you can get some that are flat and made from rubber, beside the aplications im going to use wont realy need a keyboard.
i also found this www.opussolutions.com

what are your comments?

Did you read the datasheet for this unit? :)

In my experience, battery voltage does drop while cranking
but it is usually in 9-10V range worst case (ok, that's on my car).
The power supply from the website you posted link has wide
input range 7-18V for 12V operation.

And yes, it does have low voltage detection and it is set at 11V but
this initiates shutdown if the low voltage condition lasted 10sec.
I don't know about your car, but my starts in 1-2 seconds.

I other words, this PSU should be able to bridge cranking periods
and if not, maybe you should have your car's electrical system
checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back