Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to operate a laser (diode?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanHatch

I recently wanted to use a small laser just for fun, so naturally I found a dead cd player and took out the laser "thing". I realized it had 10 pins, and I don't know what to do, does anybody have a map? I got it off of a Sony Discman cd player. Thanks for the help.

i would imagine the 10 pins have something to do with actually receiving the data on the cd... i could be wrong, but don't normal laser diodes act just like standard LEDs (as far as how to use them in a circuit)

just a guess... i know nothing about this hehe

A a normal LASER diode has only 2 pins but it requires external driving circuitry for operating.

i would say get a LED diode to have fun with. the ten lasers pin would be hard to find out what they are all for. they are special laser diodes that transmit alot of information from the CD.

Just get and ordinary one.

but what can you have with one of those lasers any way. you can see if it is working or not.

what do you want to do with it.

The laser LED-s always contains a monitor-photodiode for exact work.With these photodiode possibly make feedback for constant current supply.For experiment just buy a cheap laserpointer. In CD-ROMs and players fault 80% the laserdiode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back