Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a 8255 Based 8/16 Bit ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cracksta

Hi guys, i tried running a search for my project but found nothing :confused:

I know you guys can help with this as it should be simple for electronic minded pros.

My Task:

Interface an 8 or 16 bit ADC using digital I/O capabilities of the 8255 card. my main task is to drive the control lines of an analogue-to-digital convertor IC, so that it will convert a sample on demand and relay the resulting digital data through the 8255 I/O ports.

Now i know i need to create a C program on a PC, i should be able to do that on my own when i can get outputs from the 8255.

How do i start this as I dont have any of the equipment, i'll need a signal generator which a electronic store has a 'DIY' one.

i think i need: ADC (ADC 0804 or ADC 0808 with 8 ch MUX), latch (74ls378), buffer (74ls244) and S/H (LF398)

please help! I am not electronicly minded.

Last edited:
Just found out the theory side is worth more, i.e 90% more!

if someone can write me a guide or something i may pay a little towards their efforts :p

A/D converters with direct digital outputs are getting pretty rare. So the 8255 may end up being pretty useless for your purposes. Most A/D converters have a bus interface. That said there are ISA prototype cards that let you create an I/O mapped peripheral device at one of several addresses. 0x300 to 0x31F is a typical range for such devices, but there are others. You probably need to be running something other than windoze.

Since you are still n the planning phase, you need to decide on the precision of your conversion. 8 bits gets you one part on 256, 16 gives one in 65536. How finely you need to resolve your input is important.

You can get A to Ds with serial interfaces, which might make the input easier. Read up on things.

thanks for the input,

it will be on a parallel connection, it has to be using an 8255 PPI (using it in the labs).

at the moment, all i want is to connect the ADC to the computer so that my C program can run, and all it does it take a analogue signal and convert to digital showing on the PC.

Actually making this can be done last, all i need now is to design how it all connects with diagrams and such, can some point me of the direction of data sheets and anything i need to read up regarding 8255 and ADC?

thank you!

Check out the ol' 7109 ADC. It has direct outputs that will couple to the 8255 nicely.

Search this forum for 8255 and LPT1. They have come up a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back