Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to learn more SMPS repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane11

Are there available( anywhere) any successful repairs of switched-mode power supplies?
I found a few on YouTube but they were rather simple( e.g.changing dried capacitors ). I would like to see( and learn)how to solve more serious faults and not those trivial ones that can be seen at the first look.
Thank you.

Jestine yong has written a couple of books on the subject, do some research before buying something like this though.

Are there available( anywhere) any successful repairs of switched-mode power supplies?
I found a few on YouTube but they were rather simple( e.g.changing dried capacitors ). I would like to see( and learn)how to solve more serious faults and not those trivial ones that can be seen at the first look.
Thank you.

I am not talking about engineering level but as much as you can read and collect information about SMPS repairs, the most effective repair path is thorough understanding. Any subsequent experience would certainly be beneficial.
(Hence the availability of trivial videos).
Due to vast number of designs in different fields, it would be impossible to cover everything.
Once you can get your head around it's operation, it is not that difficult and utilizing the basics can be used to troubleshoot.

On many occasions the "shot gun" approach is used, throwing parts at it hoping for a fix.
Not counting "man made" problems and frustration, it can get expensive quick.
In 35 plus years of exposure in the electronics field, I have yet to see an exact device failure from one design to the other.
It is true that if you are repeatedly dealing with identical SMPS, you can certainly develop patterns and go right at it.
As an example, an inoperable SMPS utilized in Consumer Electronics was known to have a rather common "capacitor(s)" fix.
However the same "no power" could have been an open bleeder resistor in the primary OR shorted schottky diode in the secondary.
No doubt much easier & less expensive but many were deemed unrepairable.

Point being, understanding the circuit will greatly aid troubleshooting efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back