Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to keep a DC motor driven platform steady

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I have kind of a small round board atop my bot, spinning driven by a DC motor. When the encoder shows that it has turned the exact required amount, I want to keep it steady unable to turn anymore until next order. External forces exist that could make it to rotate in one sense or the other.

Can this (breaking ?) be achieved with a common DC motor or should I resort to a modified RC servo? Whatever helps in saving power, much better.

No previous experience. That's why such a basic question. :?:

use wormgear. it makes turning very slow, powerful and stiff. or put a brake on the motor (give v+ on poth leads of the motor)

Mechanical solutions to be avoided

I prefer braking by shorting terminals. :idea:

Got it, Nigel!

In fact I was confirming that I understood what he said. :!:

Even I recall there is a chip (sure there are many!) that will do the shorting if the input signals are properly selected. An H bridge, perhaps?

Re: Got it, Nigel!

atferrari said:
In fact I was confirming that I understood what he said. :!:

Even I recall there is a chip (sure there are many!) that will do the shorting if the input signals are properly selected. An H bridge, perhaps?

Yes, and not just a chip, a discrete H-bridge will do it as well (assuming it's designed to?) - in fact the specific way he worded his response was directly refering to an H-bridge system.

Link doesn't work

Hola Bob,
Your link is not working. :oops: Could you help?

Gracias.

Got it. Thanks

A good one. Gracias. :)

use l293dne chip.....
gives kinda regenerative braking for a particular combo of inputs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back