Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get more torque from small motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drycola

Hello everyone, I'm new here :)

I'm working on a simple robotic project where I need to carry a somewhat 'heavy' body, but all the motors I've got are small 3VDC motors which have little torque.
I cannot afford stronger type of motors, so I have to stick to these little ones.
My question is: is it true that using many motors to work simultaneously will give a similar result of using a stronger motor??

In other words: can I use plenty of these motors to get high torque???

Oh, and should I connect them in Series or Parallel?

Thanks

Last edited:
You would connect the electricity to run the motors in parallel. Their torque will add together.

You can also use pulleys or gear reduction...that kind of thing to increase torque. Smaller wheels have a similar effect.

Thanks for your helpful replies

One more question: Which is better for me?:
- Connect them in Series with 9VDC Power source?
OR
- Connect them in Parallel with 6VDC Power source?

Which will give me more torque?? (ignore the potential damage by over-voltage, my motors won't get damages, I'm sure)

Last edited:
I'd go with parallel. In series, it's less unpredictable since the more heavily loaded motor will take power from other motors (essentially running off more than it's fair share of the 9V which is already too much for it)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot..

So, I'll go with Parallel with a small gearing (that comes with my motors).
but one more question (sorry if I'm asking too much :D)
If I use (for example) 20 of these motors, will that give me Final torque ≈ 20 × (Torque of single motor)??

I wouldn't connect a bunch of motors together for the same reason I wouldn't parallel a bunch of power transistors. Differences in the motors can cause conflicts, which could lead to overheating and other maladies. If I was trying to just lift something, I would use a single pulley on a loop of rope and have a motor lift each end of the rope. That allows you to use the power of both motors while they run independently.

Thanks a lot..

So, I'll go with Parallel with a small gearing (that comes with my motors).
but one more question (sorry if I'm asking too much :D)
If I use (for example) 20 of these motors, will that give me Final torque ≈ 20 × (Torque of single motor)??

Have you considered that 20 motors = 20 times the weight, 20 times the power consumption (need bigger battery, more weight). You may get 20 times the torque, but is the real gain? You'll use have some heavy loses... But, what do I know, centipedes get around pretty good...

The usual way of getting more torque out a given motor is to put a gear-box on it. A 10:1 speed reduction gear box produces a X 10 increase in torque (neglecting losses). Note that this does not increase the power available, so you will have to wait longer for the motor to lift the weight.

The usual way of getting more torque out a given motor is to put a gear-box on it. A 10:1 speed reduction gear box produces a X 10 increase in torque (neglecting losses). Note that this does not increase the power available, so you will have to wait longer for the motor to lift the weight.

Nothing comes free in this world...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back