Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HOW to get Free Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I am tired of paying $3000 every year for Internet & TV. My TV antenna picks up 45 crystal clear free TV stations. NOW I want free internet?

NOW I want free internet?
And I want FREE rent.

Nothing in life is free. You pay for the free TV by watching commercials.
At the coffee shop, the free internet makes me watch a commercial when I log on. (again every 15 minutes)
The free internet, at the sandwich shop, makes me by lunch.
Free internet at the car repair chop usually costs $1000.00.
You can steel internet from your neighbor. (not really free)
I live on a farm with three houses. We could have three of everything. but We have one trash pickup, one electricity and one internet connection. I pay for everything so not free but my children think life in free.

How close is your nearest business that provides free WiFi hot spotting? If its line of site and less than 2 - 3 miles a good high gain directional antenna will do it for you.

Or, If you're lucky, you could also pirate off any of your neighbors, that don't have their home WiFis locked until you get caught, with such an antenna.

Otherwise you just have to cut all the crap services out and reduce your bill down from $250 a month down to the bare minimum services like I use. I have basic phone and mid range internet 50/10 Mbs package with nothing else on it.

It costs me about $60 a month unless I do a lot of long distance calling and I can get all the TV I care to watch through my Roku now which is free, beyond the ~$75 I paid for it on Amazon as a second top end factory reconditioned unit.

I can get all the TV I care to watch through my Roku now which is free,
My local Roku people said I do not have enough internet to use it. (10m on a good day, shared between all of us)
If its line of site and less than 2 - 3 miles a good high gain directional antenna
I am getting 5 miles with a directional antenna on each end. Used 2.4ghz for years but it will not shoot though water. Now at 5ghz and it will work in the rain.

How close is your nearest business that provides free WiFi hot spotting? If its line of site and less than 2 - 3 miles a good high gain directional antenna will do it for you.

Or, If you're lucky, you could also pirate off any of your neighbors, that don't have their home WiFis locked until you get caught, with such an antenna.

Otherwise you just have to cut all the crap services out and reduce your bill down from $250 a month down to the bare minimum services like I use. I have basic phone and mid range internet 50/10 Mbs package with nothing else on it.

It costs me about $60 a month unless I do a lot of long distance calling and I can get all the TV I care to watch through my Roku now which is free, beyond the ~$75 I paid for it on Amazon as a second top end factory reconditioned unit.

LOL that is what my son does. He took computer technology in college, he has an antenna to pick up wifi at McDonalds or Taco bell. There is a McDonalds and 2 car dealerships with wifi near us I might need to get an antenna. There is a lot of trees between us & the wifi it might not work.

We have Roku we were using for a while but I have been board with TV for several years and hardly watch it but wife still likes it.

2 years ago we had internet special deal for new customer $60 a month for 2 years but every month bill was wrong wife had to call & be on hold talk to 6 or 7 different people in 4 or 5 hrs of being on the phone to get the bill corrected then after 1 year price went to $135 every month so we stopped paying the bill. The next internet service never worked, service man hooked it up but had no box and never returned to finish the job and the company had no phone number for a service department. Then we signed up for another service. Now I use 1 time credit cards to pay bills if the company starts screwing me I stop putting money on the credit card so there is no money for them to get. I learned a lesson with DirecTV several years ago after canceling service we kept getting bills & bank draft kept paying the bills so I had to close the bank account finally when DirecTV called to complain I was not paying the bills I told them, YOU own me 3 months refund. It took 2 years to get the refund. I saw on TV News it is common practice for companies to bill you wrong every month not many people will spend 4 to 5 hours on the phone getting it the bill corrected. Put just enough money on the credit card for the company to get the correct amount then they have to call me instead of me calling them.

...How close is your nearest business that provides free WiFi hot spotting? If its line of site and less than 2 - 3 miles a good high gain directional antenna will do it for you.

Or, If you're lucky, you could also pirate off any of your neighbors, that don't have their home WiFis locked until you get caught, with such an antenna....

...he has an antenna to pick up wifi at McDonalds or Taco bell. There is a McDonalds and 2 car dealerships with wifi near us I might need to get an antenna. There is a lot of trees between us & the wifi it might not work....

Ummm. Isn't that stealing? The businesses pay for internet for their customers to use while they are at the establishment.

I am tired of paying $3000 every year for Internet & TV. My TV antenna picks up 45 crystal clear free TV stations. NOW I want free internet?
Good god. I mean, I thought Canadians were getting gouged (and in general I think we are compared to the US) but you're paying double or triple AND it's in American currency.

Last edited:
Ummm. Isn't that stealing? The businesses pay for internet for their customers to use while they are at the establishment.

Its free to customers so, if he goes and buys a $1 menu burger at one place and a $1 taco at the other every now and then its covered. ;)

It's not like those places put a huge amount of effort into tracking who uses their services and from where.

Its free to customers so, if he goes and buys a $1 menu burger at one place and a $1 taco at the other every now and then its covered. ;)

It's not like those places put a huge amount of effort into tracking who uses their services and from where.
That begs the question if buying $30 of something one day of the month warrants access in the same way if you bought something $1 every day of the month

That begs the question if buying $30 of something one day of the month warrants access in the same way if you bought something $1 every day of the month

They're likely buying their internet connection in fixed price per month contract like the rest of us so who are we as paying customers to let their unused bandwidth go to waste. Especially when the bulk of their customers never use it at all. I see it as just making sure they get their money's worth. ;)

Yeah... ummm no. So it doesn't count if you don't get caught?

This is the reason why many places you have to flag down a server and ask for the new password every time you go in.

They're likely buying their internet connection in fixed price per month contract like the rest of us so who are we as paying customers to let their unused bandwidth go to waste. Especially when the bulk of their customers never use it at all. I see it as just making sure they get their money's worth. ;)

Rationalization at its finest.

Do you bring back your used cup and refill it with Coke too? "It really doesn't cost that much for one cup of Coke; they won't even notice one free cup."

So drop the cable TV. Most cable TV providers provide Internet for about $30 a month which gets you down to about $360 a year from $3000.

As to looking around for a free Internet connection? Rather than buy just build a good antenna along the lines of the old cantenna design. Just Google Cantenna Design for more. Also if you build or buy keep in mind feed line loss so keep it short. If you find a signal then fine, not much ventured.

Ron

How many diffrent providers can you get? I got a choice of about 5 for DSL service (same wires, so similar prices) and 4 for wifi point to point in various speeds and SLA flavors. I pay roughly 300 dollars a year.

Yeah... ummm no. So it doesn't count if you don't get caught?

This is the reason why many places you have to flag down a server and ask for the new password every time you go in.

Do you actually know anyone who has been caught and if so what did they do about it?

I know people who use public access WiFi spots (motels, hotels, gas stations, public places, restaurants, stores, malls and so on) for movie and whatever else downloading that sucks up 10's of gigabits at a visit and so far nobodies done a thing about it.

We can - what if - this to death but it wont change my stand on things given the OP wanted to know how to get free WiFi and I told him. You may not like the answer but it does answer the question with a viable option just the same. :rolleyes:

Do you bring back your used cup and refill it with Coke too? "It really doesn't cost that much for one cup of Coke; they won't even notice one free cup."

I'm mostly a drive through guy so no. But when I do eat in I always fill the cup (I did buy because I can afford it) full before leaving. :p

As to looking around for a free Internet connection? Rather than buy just build a good antenna along the lines of the old cantenna design. Just Google Cantenna Design for more. Also if you build or buy keep in mind feed line loss so keep it short. If you find a signal then fine, not much ventured.

There's also a few designs that use repurposed satellite TV dish units that when set up and aimed right have rather impressive ranges measured in miles with some of them.

Back before fiberoptic came in when I used to get my internet off my brother some ~ 3/4 miles way I used a directional antenna and a WiFi sky USB device for my internet until I got a hackable Access point unit to run my whole house network from.

Theres a bunch of them to chose from now. 2000 mW units with different external antenea systems https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=2000+mw+usb+wifi+adapter

I still occasionally use my old one for doing antenna aiming work because the software shows the signal strengths in real time.

As much as some may not like it, the fact is these things largely exist just for the action of pirating WiFi at great distances. :rolleyes:

There's also a few designs that use repurposed satellite TV dish units that when set up and aimed right have rather impressive ranges measured in miles with some of them.
There's another good possible. Around my area you could make a good pile of scrapped satellite TV dishes easily. They are everywhere. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back