Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to generate a DC pulse from a battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_11

Hello, as part of a group project we have to do a basic design for a magnetic flow meter for the pub industry. Part of my contribution is to come up with the power source for the device and how to use it to generate enough current to power the coils. I'm struggling with it and was hoping that someone would be able to offer some guidance.

I've read around on it and it seems like the best bet is to use a DC battery source as it can more easily eliminate the noise effects. So I plan to send a low frequency DC pulse somewhere between 7-30Hz into the device.

I have no idea how to do this.

I don't know if I need to use a wave-rectifier to get the right waveform, or if it is even possible to get the square wave that I am after.

This is a theoretical exercise as I'm only just into my second year, so I don't actually have to build anything. Does anybody know if there is a basic circuit schematic for something like this like there is for, say, a class a power amplifier or whatever?

Any help will be appreciated.

Hello, as part of a group project we have to do a basic design for a magnetic flow meter for the pub industry. Part of my contribution is to come up with the power source for the device and how to use it to generate enough current to power the coils. I'm struggling with it and was hoping that someone would be able to offer some guidance.

I've read around on it and it seems like the best bet is to use a DC battery source as it can more easily eliminate the noise effects. So I plan to send a low frequency DC pulse somewhere between 7-30Hz into the device.

For a DC pulse all you have to do is switch it ON and OFF at the required speed.

Read up on the operation of the '555' timer IC.
Then you need to consider voltage and current requirements for driving the coil(s). That will inform you as to what sort of interface will be needed between the IC and the coil(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back