Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to disconnect Pioneer aplifiers internal connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikish

Hello! I decided to freshen up my Pioneer DC - Z92 cassette deck / amplifier. Everything went well until I had to undo the connectors. Tried to wiggle them and lift them up slowly but nothing worked. Starting to wonder if it is even possible to disconnect them. This deck is from 1980s / 1990s. (The white ones in the pictures)
CFD2BEA0-DC9F-43B6-9C73-F4373132F072.jpeg
D8A8B838-E4A0-4CA4-9A90-44A1FCD84060.jpeg

This looks like the connector type where:

1 The wires in the ribbon cable are a solid single core.
2 There are no connector pins on the wires. The wire is the connector pin.
3 The wires are inserted into the body of the connector housing which is fixed to the circuit board and has connector pins soldered to the circuit board.
4 The connector housing has two parts. The two parts are squeezed together. This clamps the wires into contact with the connector pins which are soldered to the circuit board.
5 The two parts of the connector latch together after they have been squeezed together.

Sorry but I don't know how to unlatch these connectors to release the wire.
On type like this that I have seen before, one part of the connector is easily pushed or pulled to release the latch. But this one?????

JimB

Looking again at your pictures, the highlighted connector looks to be partly unlatched.

JimB

1625239773395.png

This looks like the connector type where:

1 The wires in the ribbon cable are a solid single core.
2 There are no connector pins on the wires. The wire is the connector pin.
3 The wires are inserted into the body of the connector housing which is fixed to the circuit board and has connector pins soldered to the circuit board.
4 The connector housing has two parts. The two parts are squeezed together. This clamps the wires into contact with the connector pins which are soldered to the circuit board.
5 The two parts of the connector latch together after they have been squeezed together.

Sorry but I don't know how to unlatch these connectors to release the wire.
On type like this that I have seen before, one part of the connector is easily pushed or pulled to release the latch. But this one?????

JimB
Yes, these are the wires that you mentioned. Thank you for the description.

Having repaired a LOT of equipment over the decades, it's often quite difficult to remove wires, and if you're not careful you can break the connectors, or the wires. As JimB suggested, it's often a matter of pushing or pulling something to unlock it - sometimes you need to push both sides while you pull the wire with your third and fourth hands :D Othertimes the socket will 'latch' in the unlocked position once you finally figure out how to activate it, and gentally moving each side in turn might be one technique.

Having repaired a LOT of equipment over the decades, it's often quite difficult to remove wires, and if you're not careful you can break the connectors, or the wires. As JimB suggested, it's often a matter of pushing or pulling something to unlock it - sometimes you need to push both sides while you pull the wire with your third and fourth hands :D Othertimes the socket will 'latch' in the unlocked position once you finally figure out how to activate it, and gentally moving each side in turn might be one technique.
Thank you! I’ll try to unlatch them and hopefully not break anything.

After a lot of pushing and pulling i havent unlatched any of the connections. The wires are almost like fixed in but they are not soldered. The plastic is crumbling but the cables are not moving. Maybe someone could identify the cables by name and I could do some more research because i cant find anything unless i have the proper name for this connection.

After a lot of pushing and pulling i havent unlatched any of the connections. The wires are almost like fixed in but they are not soldered. The plastic is crumbling but the cables are not moving. Maybe someone could identify the cables by name and I could do some more research because i cant find anything unless i have the proper name for this connection.

See if you can find a service manual for the unit, they sometimes explain how to unplug the connectors.

Bear in mind, it might be that a special tool is required?.

Edit:

Just downloaded the service manual, no help in there - but the cable is called "lead wire" and the connector "cable holder" in the parts list, and they are shown disconnected.

Last edited:
Instead of pulling on the connector, try two-finger press down on either side of the white connector from top and gently pull on the ribbon to release--to reconnect push down on the connector, insert wires and release.
The clear-white (one piece plastic) ones are soldered.

Instead of pulling on the connector, try two-finger press down on either side of the white connector from top and gently pull on the ribbon to release--to reconnect push down on the connector, insert wires and release.
The clear-white (one piece plastic) ones are soldered.
It worked!! Thank you so much. I almost broke the connectors trying to pull them apart.

i push down on the plastic with a flat blade screwdriver and then pull the ribbon cable out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back