Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to design a power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hossam mahanna

Hi every body...

In my faculty, we are interested in doing some projects,any project we do must want power supply with different output values...please, iwant to know
a simple method to design a suitable power supply.

thank u

Last edited:
Powersupply

Hossam,

Well, first you need to know what rating you require and for what purpose.
AC,or DC output
100 VA, 500 VA, 2 kVA ?
Primary mains voltage 110 / 220 Volts, secondary voltages 12 , 32 Volts etc.
Then you need to know what type of loads you put on it or just use it as a dc bench top supply with adjustable voltage and current.
A range 0 - 24 Volts dc with currents up to 3 amps is very versatile.

The basic layout is in general MAINS, isolator switch, fuse, transformer primary.
from secondary through bridge rectifier , inductor, capacitor, to series regulating transistor 2 N3055 or whatever.
driver cct and (overload foldback system) if required.
Have a look on google for linear power supplies and there will be some examples.
I can attach a schema but it will take some time because i have to put it through flickr.

Good luck and keep us posted how you go.

For a benchtop supply you can also look in surplus shops for a secondhand one

ya that is ok.but could any body tell how to select the value of ripple capacitor. i know more the value of cap,less is ripple.see there are formulae but they involve current and ripple voltage. but how to calculate or measure that how much ripple we r getting .or is this value is to be assumed .

2.) also when we connect the cap is it not going to change the current value

hossam mahanna said:
Hi every body...

In my faculty, we are interested in doing some projects,any project we do must want power supply with different output values...please, iwant to know
a simple method to design a suitable power supply.

thank u

Power Supply

Make it's PCB and it is ready for u.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back