Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to create an embedded floppy drive using SD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnatro

hey,
I need some inputs in creating a "virtual hardware" FDD drive using some SD card and a PIC micro controller.I have a PIC18f4550 with me and i know it has sufficient RAM for the SD interface? then how do I confuse the windows to have a FDD present in its hardware.. 1.44 MiB is enough for me. any help?
asd.jpg

Have a look at the **broken link removed**. It's rather convoluted but can be made to work.

Mike.

I've done some similar with an ATMEGA32 Controller.
But the input is an serial signal.
You need a free RAM space in the Controller of 512 Byte to handle a complete cluster of the sd card.
It works up to Card sizes of 1024kByte. At bigger SD Cards the Cluster size is 1024 or 2048 Bytes.
At AVR i used a free library from the internet for FAT and Card Handling.

SD Cards normally work at 3.3V, so you have to include a level shifter.

I dont know, how to simulate a Floppy with an Microcontroller.
Perhaps you can find a Library in the Internet ?

I've searched a little bit and found that:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I did actually get a pic to appear as a USB drive about 3 years ago. Details in this thread. As you only need a small drive you could just use serial EEPROM instead of an SD card.

Mike.

I did an interface with the SD card once suing PIC 18f4550, but the problem is, as the floppy drives are now obsolete, there is a severe short supply problem here. even for the usb ones. if i can some how make an interface which "confuse" the windows that there is a floppy drive then my requirement is fulfilled. its an odd requirement, but the time and $ for developing new software for a small need is far far greater.

If you don't want to go down the USB route.... Old speccy 128 users have a web site with hard drive interfaces, floppy interfaces AND SD interfaces....They got the SD card to act as a floppy or even a hard drive...interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back