Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect a 8-pin SPST reed relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuey

I need to use a 12-v SPST pcb reed relay on a circuit. I have one of these in mind:

**broken link removed**

I've been googling all over to look at the pin specs without success. Can someone please tell me which are the coil pins and which are the switch pins. There is a small indent on one end of the relay. Thanks.

Here is the datasheet. The indention on an IC indicates where pin number one starts. If you look at the IC with the indention pointing upward, pin one is the first pin next to the indention on the left side.

This datasheet will tell you the pin configuration.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/07/DSS720MSS22072020MVS220720PRMA20E.pdf

looks like the left side is numbered 1,2,6,7 from top to bottom, with right side being 14,13,9,8 top to bottom.
pins 2 and/or 13 are one side of the coil, and pin 6 is the other side. The switch is NO, and pins 1,14 are connected to pins 7,8 when the coil side is energized. Of course, you realize that there isn't really a coil, it just helps to visualize the comparison of a solid state device to a mechanical.

heathtech said:
Of course, you realize that there isn't really a coil, it just helps to visualize the comparison of a solid state device to a mechanical.

Oh yes there is a coil!
This is a reed relay and needs a magnetic field to close the contacts.

JimB

I stand corrected!

It looked by the package that this was a solid state device. I spoke before I thought. Thank you for the correction.

Just to confirm that this isn't a solid state chip. When I apply a triggering voltage between pin 2 and pin 6, there is a very distinct clicking noise when the contact switch is activated.

Yes, I was very wrong when I made that statement. I learned something. It is amazing how engineers have miniaturized this stuff to the point where a mechanical relay can be put in a teeny DIP!

Since it has a coil, I bet it makes a high voltage spark when you (or a driver transistor) disconnects its current.
Therefore it needs a reverse-connected diode across it to arrest the high voltage so that the driver transistor doesn't get busted. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back