Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect 2x 4017

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac86

i made a LED controller a while back using a 4017 and using 8 outputs... now i need to make it 20 outputs. i have 2x 4017, but not sure how to connect them so first one will go through 1-10, stop and start second, which will go 1-10, stop and start first and number 1 again.

i have connected output 11 of first to 15 of second, and 11 of second to 15 of first, but they both go through 1-10 at same time. which outputs should i be using?

i made a LED controller a while back using a 4017 and using 8 outputs... now i need to make it 20 outputs. i have 2x 4017, but not sure how to connect them so first one will go through 1-10, stop and start second, which will go 1-10, stop and start first and number 1 again.

i have connected output 11 of first to 15 of second, and 11 of second to 15 of first, but they both go through 1-10 at same time. which outputs should i be using?

hi,
Have a look at this version of the 4017 data. Page 11

Attachments

• hef4017b.pdf
    103.6 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
have followed the diagram on page 11 using a 4081. but now have a different problem: 4017 #1 goes through 1-9 as it should, but 4017 #2 has all LEDs lit, and each goes off one at a time, instead of coming on?

That sounds like you have your LEDs connected to a power source and the 4017 is grounding them, with the exception of the 'active' output which will turn it's LED off in such circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back