Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to conect to a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanXXIII

Please, if anybody can help me, it would be wonderful.
I need to know what programming software is useful to create a simple movement in the most simple machine, like to turn on a motor and shut it down. And how I can conect that motor to my computer (usb maybe??).
If anybody can help me I will appreciate it.
Please write me at gabroche@hotmail.com
thanks. Juan.

juanXXIII said:
Please, if anybody can help me, it would be wonderful.
I need to know what programming software is useful to create a simple movement in the most simple machine, like to turn on a motor and shut it down. And how I can conect that motor to my computer (usb maybe??).
If anybody can help me I will appreciate it.
Please write me at gabroche@hotmail.com
thanks. Juan.

USB = very dificult
SERIAL PORT = a litle less dificult
PARALLEL = VERY EASY!

if you plan to work on the parallel port, tell me, i have lot of programs and shcematics. i use Visual Basic, but i can also provide you with C code.

now, what about the controlling of the motors? are they DC? you will probably need an H-Bridge controller.. depending on the size you may need to do it yourself (see my projects page, it explains how to make a reliable H bridge)

Why not use a PLC?

You can connect it to your computer, program it, then connect it to your motor and it will do all the work. Most modles even come with software and a brief tutorial to get you started. The great thing is once you've programmed it you no longer need your PC to control the device.

PLC's are basically obsolete. Modern PLC's are actually micro controllers hidden underneath various translation layers, those layers may exist wholly at the software level just to add comfort in the programming of devices which have since been far surpassed by newer programming methods which old school engineers don't want to learn because they're so good at dealing with the previous generations methods.

New Guy

hey I'm nu to dis site!
I also wud like to kno how to control a switch or a motor thru a computer via parallel port. Cud u help me to programme it in Visual Basic .

Turn a LED ON first through your port. & make some experiments with it by adjusting the code.
At the moment I don’t have any link to give you later I will post the links. From this site you can get lot of information about controlling the parallel port.

It’s very easy to turn right & left the motor with an H Bridge. Only you need to turn on & off two pins of your port. But to control the speed of the motor have to do via another method.

hi jobbin,

The first thing you do to turn on a LED with a printer output, is to start your thread and not to hijack Juan's thread!.

Plz uz gud txt, ow du we no wat u want cos we dunno wat u meen.

Remember not all forum members have english as their first lanuage.

EricG

i'm sorry for that ! I'll be careful not to use bad english !

And i didn't start a new thread because i thought the thread i wanted was already there , so why start a another one.

Anyway pls tell me how to do it using a printer output?
I have an led, a parallel port cable , and a computer . Now what shud i do?

Hi jobbin,
Thanks for your reply, look forward to trying to help.

You start your own thread so that members can post specific answers to the query.

You can imagine how confusing it can get if there two members asking similar questions

In your thread tell us what PC operating system you use, Win98, XP etc.

Regards
Eric

EDIT: read the thread started by 'jobbin'

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
PLC's are basically obsolete.
Nonsense!

You cant still buy PLCs from RS, Farnell and most suppliers.

Modern PLC's are actually micro controllers hidden underneath various translation layers, those layers may exist wholly at the software level just to add comfort in the programming of devices which have since been far surpassed by newer programming methods which old school engineers don't want to learn because they're so good at dealing with the previous generations methods.
PLCs have been microcontrollers from nearly day one so what's new?

They did start out using relays, then they progressed to silicone and eventually ICs; just like everything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back