Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to check for a blown fuse on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't generally buy anything with the Monster Cable brand on it, all that means is the price is Monstrously out of proportion with the product cost. Buy a surge protector with a concrete IN WRITING connected equipment warranty.

My mother in law just recently bought two HDMI cables for like 80 dollars... I just bought an HDMI cable (gold plated) for less than 20.

Last edited:
Yes, FL1 is the Fuse Link 1. Can be replaced with any glass type leaded fuse at least 6 Amperes, that RadioShack does not carry. Can be mounted vertically. Buy several just in case.

**broken link removed**

If your meter does deflect with its leads shorted but nothing across FL1, it is kaput.
Sorry, FC1 and FC2 are not installed, nothing to test there. VRL1 should have no continuity; THL1 should have continuity.
Miguel

Last edited:
I hate that Monster brand... It's the only audio/video cable they sell at the normal big-box stores (of course), and I always see people looking at them and saying "ooh it's gold plated and shiny, it must work better!". What a joke... I've seen HDMI cables for $5 online, compared to $40 in Wal-Mart!

Oh and if your looking for another surge-protector remember the more Joule and Amp rating the better, and lower clamp voltage is better.

Last edited:
I thought Monster(TM) surge protectors came with "insurance" providing replacements for anything "protected" which gets damaged anyways. Might be a good idea to check into it. at their web site (Why Buy Monster Surge protection) they claim:

Monster actually pays if damage ever does occur. Obviously, the idea is to never use the warranty. The only point is if it ever should happen, you really can collect.

While it's open to debate how much "better" the products are, you paid for the insurance, collect!

Well Monster wants you to get a repair estimate for an authorised Samsung repair shop. Since its out of warrenty you have to send Samsung $75.00 to just get a repair order. Then you send the estimate and the old surge protector to Monster for them to review and determine the cause. Then I would bet there would be a fight to get anything out of them.
I can replace the thing for about $100.00 , so i thought I would give it a shot myself, may save alot of hassle.

Hmm... I just thought, do you have renters or homeowneres insurance? May be covered under there.

Had an over voltage issue once (tree fell on neutral) 2 pieces of equipment plugged into $12 hardware store surge suppressor power strips - both equipment destroyed (one of the 2 strips was sparking and pouring smoke, glad I was home to unplug it quick, might have started a fire, other strip suffered no apparent damage). Another PC plugged into a $45
Tripp Lite strip was fine (the Tripp Lite strip was toast, but did it's job)

PS - Friends don't let friends buy Monster. The only company I hate more than them is the ink jet people. No excuse for $screwing people the way they do.

Last edited:
why dont you see the PCB lines? if the power is passed through that then its a fuse. check the continuity of both wires until the rectifier.
ok finally if you want to connect a wire, instead try connecting a 200W bulb in series or instead of the wire shorting. if there will be any other fault the load will be taken by the bulb in series and no harm in it.

was this ever resolved? I have the same model, HTZ310 that I can't get to boot. Don't know if its the fuse, or how to replace it if it is.

So this might be an old thread but wanted to let everyone know that this works. I really did not want to buy a new system when all I use it is for sound. My HT Z310 blew the fuse. I ordered new ones on eBay, I checked by conecting the pins from the old one to the new one an it worked. I did not have a soldering thing and did not need it. I slowly pulled the old one out moving it left to right to loosen it up. Slowly and gentle is the key if not de-soldering. Then I put the prongs from new fuse through the holes. Took some electrical tape and taped up the ends of the prongs on the bottom and bent then out so they would stay in place. Total cost was 3.99, it might be a little more if you do not have electrical tape but that's cheap at Walmart. Oh by the way, this might sound like a no brainer but make sure the system is unplugged, I also unplugged it inside while working on it. Better safe than sorry

Here is link for fuses on eBay:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back