Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to boost range walkie talkie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex4421

hi,

is it possible to boost a walkie talkie's range in transmitting and recieving ?...
extending the antenna ? other amplifier ?

You probably need hack the hardware circuit.
It is illegal to boost the power since you might jam other wireless traffic, e.g. fireman's channel or police's channel.

alex4421 said:
but in our contry they have a special frequenti that they work on so we can't cross them ;)
Even if you are not on the same frequency you can interfere with their communications by desensitizing their receivers. Fergeddaboudit.

A walkie talkie produces ‘energy’ at the frequency you are transmitting on. Most of its power is at 1X. It also transmits at 2X, 3X, 4X ….. A small amount of power is transmitted at even 5 times your frequency. If you mess with your walkie talkie you could get some more power at 1X. You will defiantly get much more power at the harmonics. You could easy send 1/3 of your power out on a harmonic that lands in the middle of the police band. Good luck when type show up at you door.

Walkie-talkies are for children.
In North America we can buy very good ones made for adults that have a very far range and work very well. They are inexpensive.

Attachments

• GMRS radios.JPG
    GMRS radios.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,569
audioguru said:
In North America we can buy very good ones made for adults that have a very far range and work very well. They are inexpensive.
i know , but how come those wouldn't cross service frequenties , and the ones in belgium are secured ...(service ...)

alex4421 said:
i know , but how come those wouldn't cross service frequenties , and the ones in belgium are secured ...(service ...)

They are correctly designed, and meet a low power licence free specification, you're not allowed to put amplifiers on them.

mneary said:
In the US, GMRS is not license free. See 47 CFR 95.179. But as usual, OP has chosen to conceal location in their Profile. Even a continent would be helpful.

I thought the little walkie talkies that Audioguru posted the picture of were licence free?, they are in the UK, which has far stricter radio regulations than the US.

FRS (Family Radio Service) and GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios are similar. A quick scan of the rules suggests that FRS is unlicensed, low power and GMRS is a licensed higher power version. It appears that both are for family use. The frequencies for both are about 460 mHz - with overlap on a few channels. It appears that one can purchase a tranceiver approved for both FRS and GMRS. I'd expect that device to require a license.

Until this time I had never realized that the FCC's intended use was for communication among family members (per FCC website). Seems that the FRS and GMRS radios are marketed without mention of this.

audioguru said:

it's used profesionaly on almost every building site through out the world

the problem here in cambodia is the licencing fee, not that cheap but still easy to get things going in comparing to Laos

negetive point of having a building project in a comunist country is that wireless comunication (telephone excepted( get scaned also)) is deu to the cost and paperwork in those countrys almost imposible to have

not nice when you building a 12 story building, makes you very tired walking the stairs

Robert-Jan

Hi, i understand the legal problems, but we go in the South America, in a jungle area, where we sure not disturb nobody, if I change the antennas of the walkie talkie to have a higher range. We have other radio, but I vant to modify the walkie talkie too, only for this occasion, and i need a quick solution, not ethical discourses. What antenna i can buy, where, or what is the most simple and quick mode to construct myself an alternative antenna?

It may be possible to replace the antenna with a directional antenna. By making it directional, you can get better reception and signal gain in one direction without having to increase the power. of course, this would also make reception worse in other directions, and carrying around and positioning a bulky directional antenna may not be ideal.

That said, at least in the US, most unlicensed walkie-talkies do not have detachable antennas, so the modifications may be messy. I'm not sure if it is legal in the US to modify the antennas on unlicensed walkie-talkies or not, and I certainly know nothing about the regulations in other countries.

If getting an amateur radio license is possible, suddenly an entire world of new bands and higher power equipment become available to you.

EDIT: Oops. didn't realize this was a necro of this thread. Perhaps starting a new thread would be in order?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back