Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to add up analogue inputs to average them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he now has to measure the voltage 16X faster he needs a faster ADC, and because the data takes 16x more "space" he needs a micro with more RAM, and because the math is more complicated he must upgrade to the next faster CPU, and that new CPU only cones in the next bigger package, and the code just ran off the end of PROM, and now none of it fits on the old PCB, and free is not free.

I suggest you try reading the thread :D

As he's wanting to read the ADC SLOWLY (in order to average the readings) he doesn't need a faster CPU (and could probably use a far slower one), likewise the space requirements - which are extremely minimal, as are the maths requirements.

The entire idea is trivial - and he could probably have written it in the time he took to write the original question.

Edit:

Quick Arduino tutorial example:

Because he now has to measure the voltage 16X faster he needs a faster ADC, and because the data takes 16x more "space" he needs a micro with more RAM, and because the math is more complicated he must upgrade to the next faster CPU, and that new CPU only cones in the next bigger package, and the code just ran off the end of PROM, and now none of it fits on the old PCB, and free is not free.
wow. Xanax - ?

Last edited:
We still need to know a lot more about the signals.

IF the TS is interested only in their peak values

AND IF the samples are too far apart in time for a simple R-C integrator

AND IF a digital solution is not workable (skill set, development time / cost, etc.)

THEN 20 peak S/H (sample-and-hold) stages followed by one 20-input inverting summer. 6 chips.

OR a 20:1 analog multiplexer into one integrate/hold. 3 chips.

ak

We still need to know a lot more about the signals.

IF the TS is interested only in their peak values

AND IF the samples are too far apart in time for a simple R-C integrator

The original post sets the parameters pretty well:
So I can get an average. to give me a sort of analogue "debounce".

I'd take that as a mean or average value, just avoiding any spikes or glitches that would have thrown a single instantaneous sample reading at the wrong instant.

I still think just using the built-in response control or an R-C filter will give the required result.

The original post sets the parameters pretty well:

I'd take that as a mean or average value, just avoiding any spikes or glitches that would have thrown a single instantaneous sample reading at the wrong instant.

I still think just using the built-in response control or an R-C filter will give the required result.

As software is free, why not use both software and a low pass filter?.

Gentlemen,

The original poster asked a question, and made one additional post where he didn't address any of the assumptions made and said thanks for the ideas. A total of 80 words.

That has lead to continuing debates about what he really wants to do spanning 27 replies and a total of 1296 words, continuing a week after his only reply.

It's really humorous. Especially since most of the "debate" is being carried out by "most helpful members".

we're not in the 1950's, and he's using a sensor commonly used with microcontrollers.
The sensor has an analog output.
How does that show it's commonly used with microcontrollers?

And I'd appreciate it if you were a little less condescending/sarcastic in your answers.

I've played around with the ACS 750.
That's very noisy.
I've solved that with overaging and throw away the highest and the lowest measured value.

So the result is usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back