Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to add new tunes to a old toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mettam

How to add new tunes to an old toy.

Hi.
I am repurposing a old kids toy. This toy runs on 4 D cell batteries. Its original function was to play tunes while projecting light through a slow turning colored Gel.
I would like to know if it is at all possible to add new tunes to this circuit.

Attached is a picture of the components, I labeled them as best as possible.
See attached image.
If you need more information please ask me and I will tell you what I can.

I will be very grateful for any help on this matter.

J.

Attachments

• OldToyCircut.jpg
    OldToyCircut.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Hi,

first of all i want to tell you that in toys like the one in attached image use simple melody generator ic. A lot of models of such ic,s are avialable in different packages ranging from simple 3-pin TO-92. to large DIP as well as SMD versions. some are high quality melody generators,others are not. some are multi melody with options of selections, others may be just one or couple of melodies.

now in the image you posted , there is not visible any DIP or SMD ic on circuit board. I can see just TO-92 models. you need to look at those transistors and post there markings.
i think one of them is not a transistor, but it may be be a melody generator. post there marking and may be i could help you.
You may need to see the other side of the board for any smd IC or a blob of white or black epoxy on the board(worst case it will be).

Hi,

first of all i want to tell you that in toys like the one in attached image use simple melody generator ic. A lot of models of such ic,s are avialable in different packages ranging from simple 3-pin TO-92. to large DIP as well as SMD versions. some are high quality melody generators,others are not. some are multi melody with options of selections, others may be just one or couple of melodies.

now in the image you posted , there is not visible any DIP or SMD ic on circuit board. I can see just TO-92 models. you need to look at those transistors and post there markings.
i think one of them is not a transistor, but it may be be a melody generator. post there marking and may be i could help you.
You may need to see the other side of the board for any smd IC or a blob of white or black epoxy on the board(worst case it will be).

Thanks for responding. I have taken some close up pictures of the circuit board front and back. see attached.
Also I am not sure it is a simple melody generator mainly because there is a bird chirping sound track that has pretty good sound quality.
see my video upload so you can hear it:
YouTube - ShowCircuitSound

I think the smd IC you are talking about is under that blob of black epoxy, just as you described.
The components I can see are:
4 transistors labeled "SS8050 D 331"
3 resistors (I think they are resistors) I cant get a reading on them.
1 Capacitor 220uf

I wanted to add a sound more like the opening music to the Olympics:
YouTube - olympics theme music
fyi I intend to embed this chip into a trophy that turns slowly plays this music and has lights that come on.

Attachments

• The_Chip.jpg
    The_Chip.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Your toy has such bad sound that it sounds like it is made mechanically.
The Olymics Theme should be played with high fidelity.

It needs a real good little speaker (not the distorted piezo whistle) with a half-decent enclosure like used in some good quality computer speakers.

Your toy has such bad sound that it sounds like it is made mechanically.
The Olymics Theme should be played with high fidelity.

It needs a real good little speaker (not the distorted piezo whistle) with a half-decent enclosure like used in some good quality computer speakers.

Yes you are right, it probably does need good sound but I don't want to spend a lot of $ making this thing. Plus I need to keep it small and compact so that it will fit into the bottom of a 1 inch base. I also have a tape recorder I was going to possibly use instead.
In retrospect the lame sound this speaker makes might add to the charm of it.

You can make it cheap and sound as bad as you want.

At Halloween you can buy a cheap electronic recorder in a witch toy. It is nearly given away for free the day after Halloween. It sounds really baaaaad.

The second image you posted shows "chip on board" also called COB in short form. This makes it impossible to make any alterations on board, as the chip is permanently attached to the board.Surely its not simple melody generator as there there is a shuffle button on the other board.
Making the board with new ic,s for new melodies, or making a board with recording and play back ic,s will cost you many times more than the price of toy.
i,ll suggest you to leave it. Audioguru has given you better suggesion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back