Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much current can I pull through these mosfets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are using them for static switching - either on or off, no fast pwm or the like, then 4.9A right from the first page should be your value, dissipating 0.8W and rising 96°C above the ambient temperature, i.e. really hot but managable.

You really require a Logic level gate type.
Those are Vgs 12v.
Max.
+/- 12V is the absolute maximum, not required Vgs. Not only do they state the max current at 1.8-4.5V Vgs, but they also state Vgs threshold as 1.2V max.

If you are using them for static switching - either on or off, no fast pwm or the like, then 4.9A right from the first page should be your value, dissipating 0.8W and rising 96°C above the ambient temperature, i.e. really hot but managable.

I'm using it for PWM switching yes, from a arduino so I'm not sure what the switching frequency would be? How would that effect the current rating?

Thanks all for the replies - not sure what Vgs means?

N.b. the ratings are for the FET "Surface Mounted on FR4 Board, t ≤ 5 sec."
If you are PWMing the FET it will dissipate more heat than if switched only occasionally. You should reckon on handling less than 4.9A (the specified absolute maximum) for reliability.

You really require a Logic level gate type.
Those are Vgs 12v.
Max.
all specifications point to working at Vgs of 4.5, 3,3 and even1,8V

Vgs max is for limit and not for working,
Thus IMHO these devices are really logic level controlled only

If your switching is > 25Khz, you should use a dedicated MOSFET driver chip to prevent FET overheating due to linear mode transitioning. Otherwise I'd still advise a bipolar transistor like a 2n3904/6 to drive it. Direct from a 20mA max logic gate or uC pin is ok if you're under 10Khz or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back