Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many hours at University?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Just thought I'd ask what sort of time people on here (from various countries) spent in lectures etc. while at University.

My daughter has just finished her first real week (after freshers week), and did:

Monday - 9:00-17:00 - Lab Work
Tuesday - 9:00-17:00 - Lab Work
Wednesday - 9:00-13:00 - Lectures
Thursday - 9:00-17:00 - Lectures
Friday - 9:00-17:00 - Lectures

She's reading Chemistry, a four year course, and luckily doesn't have to do the extra maths the course provides (as she's already qualified higher than that in maths), which would presumably fill Wednesday afternoon as well :D

Seems a pretty high work load, plus all the evening work ready for the next day - should slow the partying down a bit! :p

Her boyfriend, doing Linguistics at Bangor, only gets 6 hours of lectures a week.

So what hours did others do?.

I only spent 15-20 hours per week in lecture or labs. I was an engineering major in the US at one of our better public universities.

Last edited:
We had approximately 3 hours of lecture (15 h per week = 15 credits) and one (1) 3-hr lab a day (5 credits). The ratio was 3 hours of lab = 1 lecture hour. Most of us took at least 18 semester hours per semester. 12 hours was minimum to be full-time; 120 hours of credit were required for graduation. Most of my immediate group took about 20 hours per term, since tuition was the same whether one took 12 hours or 20+ hours (some engineering students took 22 hours).

That was at a non-public, American university.

John

Last edited:
About 18 hours of lectures and 10 hours of labs a week normally. During heavy years it could approach 30 hours of lectures a week with 15 hours of labs.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty rigorous Nigel. What are the career expectations of people doing the four years? Is there a pay off?

I think comparing linguistics and chemistry is like comparing apples with pears - one uses your brain the other your gob! ;-)

Last edited:
Sounds pretty rigorous Nigel. What are the career expectations of people doing the four years? Is there a pay off?

Hopefully so, the course she's taking (MCHEM) offers the option of the fourth year in Industry - where you have the potential for been kept on if they like you. York is the only Uni that do this in the 4th year, others do it in the 3rd.

You can also optionally spend the 4th year at a foreign Uni, or just stay at York.

A year in Industry sounds the best option though, and you even get paid during it :D

I think comparing linguistics and chemistry is like comparing apples with pears - one uses your brain the other your gob! ;-)

It's only because it's her boyfriend.

When I was at Nottingham I did
9am -> 12pm lectures & 1pm -> 4pm either lectures or labs (depending) on mon,tue,thur,fri
Wednesdays was a "sportsday" so it was 9am -> 12pm

the 4th year of my masters was slightly different and very hectic spit up so we would get one semesters worth of lectures in a few days from the elec dept and only regular weekly lectures for optional modules, the rest of the time was project work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back