Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How I should configure a parallel port to read data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

najeeb

Hi,

Does any one can tell me how i should configure the parallel port for reading data from a circuit?

I got a lot of information from the internet, but now confused by this after testing with different computer ports. I found some ports are working very well but not all. I want a unique method so that my circuit will have the compatibility with all computers, like the scanners where we are just plugging the device to any system and installing the driver sotware.

So any one can help me in this regard please do it.

Najeeb

najeeb said:
Hi,

Does any one can tell me how i should configure the parallel port for reading data from a circuit?

I got a lot of information from the internet, but now confused by this after testing with different computer ports. I found some ports are working very well but not all. I want a unique method so that my circuit will have the compatibility with all computers, like the scanners where we are just plugging the device to any system and installing the driver sotware.

So any one can help me in this regard please do it.

Najeeb

If you want maximum compatibility you will need to use a standard parallel port - this only has a very limited number of input pins. So like the old LapLink software you will need to transfer data as 4 bit 'nibbles'.

There are 2 main things to check when trying to access a parallel port.
1. If PC shows it as ECP type, you must configure ECP extended control register for the proper operation mode. PortBaseAddress +&H402 (bits 5-7)
2. You must also set the direction control bit in the Port control register at PortBaseAddress +&H2 (bit 5)
To get full info go to BeyondLogic.org and download their tutorials on parallel port (all Modes). This will explain a lot of things.
Dialtone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back