Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How Engine start stop system works

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exactly the engine start stop system works. I know the engine will be off during traffic signal. How this engine stop is different from when you first start the engine.

You are referring to a hybrid car (such as a Prius), correct?

That being the case, in a general sense, the"Start" button (on the dash as a rule) initiates the engine start sequence from the "Off" condition that was set when you removed the key (or a key fob) when exiting the car.

The "start" signal for re-starting the engine, from a stop in motion such as at a stop light, is initiated when you press on the accelerator, i.e., a sensor in the accelerator electrical/mechanical arrangement is triggered.

Other factors (e.g., battery condition, load on the power system such as A/C usage, etc.) may play a part in the sequence, as well.

Last edited:
Mine has stop/start gets on my nerves.... Its a Vauxhall mokka... There is a space on the tacho where the rev counter sits.. If you touch the brake or clutch the engine re-starts.... If you accidentally stall the car.. It re-starts... For it to work a traffic lights, with the foot or handbrake on out of gear, then it shuts down as soon as you release the clutch... Virtually anything re-starts the engine... Even if the fan cuts in..

How exactly the engine start stop system works. I know the engine will be off during traffic signal. How this engine stop is different from when you first start the engine.
Hi EL,

The engine start stop system is exactly the same as a conventional engine start stop system in principle.

In practice, cars with start/stop have these differences:

(1) The battery has a higher capacity.
(2) The starter motor is more efficient.
(3) The design of the starter mechanics is much better.
(4) The engine, ignition system, and fuel system are optimized for instant starting.

spec

Last edited:
Mine has stop/start gets on my nerves.... Its a Vauxhall mokka... There is a space on the tacho where the rev counter sits.. If you touch the brake or clutch the engine re-starts.... If you accidentally stall the car.. It re-starts... For it to work a traffic lights, with the foot or handbrake on out of gear, then it shuts down as soon as you release the clutch... Virtually anything re-starts the engine... Even if the fan cuts in..

Can't you 'turn it off''?, as far as I'm aware stop/start is an option, and not permanently enabled.

Yep!! There's a switch on the center console...But one time only... You have to press it every journey... I forget or can't be arsed... I'm starting to live with it... The other feature that "does me nut in" is the "auto handbrake" for hill starts.... Never needed it, but the car decides I do!!

Yep!! There's a switch on the center console...But one time only... You have to press it every journey... I forget or can't be arsed... I'm starting to live with it... The other feature that "does me nut in" is the "auto handbrake" for hill starts.... Never needed it, but the car decides I do!!
Hi Ian,

Not sure about your car, but I think you can permanently disable start/stop on most cars, although in some cases you may need to set it in firmware.

Apart from the annoyance with start/stop, I always worry about the wear and tear, especially on the engine, but also the battery, and starting system.:arghh:

spec

Apart from the annoyance with start/stop, I always worry about the wear and tear, especially on the engine, but also the battery, and starting system.:arghh:
My main concern is the ring gear... The car is a CDI ( diesel ).. The flywheel is one of those weighted, anti vibration, cost an arm and a leg, ones... Ring gears wear in two places only, because a four cylinder engine stops on the compression stroke., there are two worn area's... Constant stop/start will cause this issue to amplify.. This means an early flywheel change...

I too hate the electric parking brake and my wife will not even try to drive the car. It seems to work OK on a hill start if you have a clear run but edging up to a junction on a hill is very difficult. You either have to hold it on the clutch or be very quick transferring from the accelerator to the foot brake. The time taken to find the button for the parking brake and the slow opperation compared with a propper handbrake the car would have rolled back. When I was looking for a new car about a year ago I had totaly rulled out ones with the stop/ start system. (Although looking into how the system worked I found that they did not use the old bendix gear system but a combined alternator and starter motor that avoided the need for the bendix gear.)

Les.

I too hate the electric parking brake and my wife will not even try to drive the car. It seems to work OK on a hill start if you have a clear run but edging up to a junction on a hill is very difficult. You either have to hold it on the clutch or be very quick transferring from the accelerator to the foot brake. The time taken to find the button for the parking brake and the slow opperation compared with a propper handbrake the car would have rolled back. When I was looking for a new car about a year ago I had totaly rulled out ones with the stop/ start system. (Although looking into how the system worked I found that they did not use the old bendix gear system but a combined alternator and starter motor that avoided the need for the bendix gear.)

Les.

I am thinking of getting an electric starter for my ole car.:D

spec

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

Last edited:

Didn't you consider all this before you bought the car? :D

I was talking to a guy the other year, who was repairing the rear brakes on his Volkswagon - and it had an electric handbrake. So I asked him how you actually used it, it was incredibly complicated to use - there's no way I could ever steal his car! :p

I have never owned a car with auto engine stop/start but have driven a few hire cars with that feature.
Generally speaking I found it to be no problem at all, in fact the first car I drove with that feature (Mercedes SLK200), I had been going for quite a while before I realised that it had the feature, although I had thought that the automatic gearbox was a bit jerky when I needed to start quickly.
I finally twigged what was going on when I noticed that the tacho was showing 0 while I was stopped in the traffic.

But to answer the original question, once you have started the engine, the control unit will stop the engine whenever it senses that the car has stopped moving, and will start the engine again whenever it senses that power is needed, such as foot off the brake, move the steering wheel (hydraulics for the power steering).

One thing which I do find un-nerving, is cars where you press a button to start the engine, and press the same button to stop the engine.
Whenever I drive one of those I am always very relieved that the engine just stops instead of the starter bendix trying to jam itself into the moving flywheel ring gear.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back