Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How doI interface a 8051 microcon with the PC parallel port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukeball

If someone could provide me with a diagram or something to get me started it would be great . I basically want to transfer data from the 8051 memory to the PC and collect and tabulate the data using MS Access. Everything and anything is welcome. :D

Thanx guys
Jay

I think Visual Basic can be used to access the parallel port and read data or send data through it. You can try searching the net about it.

Why are you wasting so many port pins in parallel data transfer when you can do it with only two pins using on-chip serial port of 8051 which can be operated at 115 kbps with a 24MHz crystal. Serial interfacing is less messy and is easy to transfer data over it.

What kind of 8051 are you using? many different breeds out there. If yours has a build in UART you should use the serial port.

I am using DS5000T mine has serial capability, maybe yours too, it is easier really to use the Parallel port and some 8 bits.

Exo said:
What kind of 8051 are you using? many different breeds out there. If yours has a build in UART you should use the serial port.

Almost all the derivatives of 8051 have inbuilt UART. Its a common feature or say a part of its architecture which is present in almost all of its family of derivatives since it is born.

Thanx a lot everyone. Serially is the way to go . I 'll be using the 8051 (with surely a UART) to only transfer data. Once the data had been uploaded to the PC how do I retreive it on the PC . There are a couple of applications available on the net which are to be payed . If some could tell me about a easier way so that my data can stored using MS Access it would be great .

Thanx
Jay

kinjalgp said:
Exo said:

Almost all the derivatives of 8051 have inbuilt UART. Its a common feature or say a part of its architecture which is present in almost all of its family of derivatives since it is born.

Didn't know that one... Not really into these 8051 µC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back