Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does this LED work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

Hi, an embarrasing question but can anybody tell me how does this LED work?. I mean construction kindof way. This gives three colors and has two terminals. And just giving it a supply makes it glow in all three colors one at a time. It looks like a normal LED. Googled it but found multiterminal RGB LEDs. Video attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Tri-color LED.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 115
If your LED is anything like these:

**broken link removed**

Then just connect 5 Volts DC and it works.

Of course, your LED may be different, since you provide no information. Maybe 5 Volts will kill it.

EDIT: .... or if you mean, how do the internals work... I believe that it has a chip built in to the same package as the LED.

Last edited:
It's a Flashing RGB LED. Basically it has 3 LED diodes and a microcontroller built into a standard 5mm LED package.

Search google for Flashing RGB LED and you'll find these.

Last edited:
I have some of these kinds of LEDs too and mine work perfectly on 3v, it has a built in chip that powers the LEDs in some patterns.

-Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back