Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do you to make a shocking lighter or equivilant

Status
Not open for further replies.
The circuit is simple, but the time it would take to fit it inside of a suitable insulated case would be long. The simplest thing to do would be to use a 555 timer running a miniature transformer (step-up). The output wires would then be connected to two opposite conductive strips on you lighter case. The battery would be the issue (size) as well as the power switching. If it was me who wanted one, I'd call in at the local joke shop and pick one up for a couple of pounds/dollars (whatever currency you use). At least with the joke shop model, they are made well and actually LOOK like lighters. PLUS, they are made to conform to safety standards! The last thing you really want to see is somebody (the target) enveloped in a plasma field as they painfully bake:eek:

A shocking lighter or pen is a piezo ignitor- not really an electronic circuit. It's the same spark-generating trigger used in every button-type lighter, just with both wires going to two electrically unconnected parts of the case.

Actually, yes that is an even simpler way. Well done Oznog. When I was younger, I did purchase one of those shock lighters and I (as you do) decided to take it apart. Inside, there was a coil and a multivibrator circuit. The back EMF from the coil breakdown, was piped to two electrodes. This was how it was done in those days (1970's). Needless to say, I never got around to rebuilding the 'operated on' lighter. Well, I was only 12 years old and I even unwound the coil! These days, a battery device would be the 555 and step-up transformer, improved even further by your battery-free piezo EMF crushed crystal version.

Just find an electro-ignited lighter, must have a metal wind shield. Carefully remove the wind shield, solder a small piece of wire to the pointy part of the igniter, and then to the wind shield. Put it back together. When someone uses the lighter, the arc runs through the metal wind screen, zap...

Did some checking in the early hours this morning, on the shock joke lighters presently sold online. Every one of them seems to run on a coil and battery. Therefore, all they are using (I assume) is a self looping relay (coil goes through the contactors) with the coil connections being the external connections. This makes quite a buzzy sound as the relay chatters at high speed, enhancing the effect with sound and shock. The EMF from the coil does the stepping up, and the 'victims' body does the falling down. In my opinion the constant AC effect shock genereated by the relay [or 555 system] is better than a one-off microburst piezo shock. Unless Homer Simpson really does exist? (-click-OW!-Doh!-click-OW!-Doh!-click-OW!-Doh!-click...)

A relay designed so that it opens up a switch wired to the relay's coil itself will make some high voltage. When the coil is just unhooked like that, the magnetic field collapses and makes some HV across the switch (the relay contacts). It will buzz constantly. You need like a SPDT relay because the simplest relays turn contacts ON when the coil is energized and you need the opposite. You can also put a bigger inductor in series with the coil to make the HV output greater. Eventually this sort of sparking will erode and/or weld the relay contacts though.

I remember seeing a shocking "joke book" as a kid. It just had an AA battery and inductor. Opening the book brushed two wires together to short the battery onto the coil as you began opening it and the normal action of opening the book would break the connection right afterwards. The inductor current that has built up has nowhere to go and you get that HV inductive kick.

ok being serious here I want to make a shoker that a girl can carry easily in her pocket and use to defend herself. is that deasable or will it filll her whole handbag ?

Thunderchild said:
ok being serious here I want to make a shoker that a girl can carry easily in her pocket and use to defend herself. is that deasable or will it filll her whole handbag ?

What you're describing is commonly available in some parts of the word, in others (like the UK) it's a serious criminal offence to possess one. Check https://www.safetygearhq.com/stunmaster.htm for some examples.

However, carrying one isn't at all helpful, only USING it to defend yourself would be - and it can offer a false feeling of security!.

Self defence training is probably more helpful, for a simple (and free) example, if you feel threatened then carry your bunch of keys in your hand with the ends of the keys protruding through your fingers. This makes a VERY effective weapon!.

A lady, who had previously attended one of our self-defence courses, used this technique when attacked - she actually punched the keys through the attackers cheek into his mouth!. He was arrested at hospital the next day, trying to get his face sewn back together!.

hm yea good idea. Is it really illegal to poses one ? it should only be so when all criminal and sexual maniacs are put away for life. self defence is not a crime and making them illegal will not stop badly intentioned peoplle from using them.

Thunderchild said:
hm yea good idea. Is it really illegal to poses one ? it should only be so when all criminal and sexual maniacs are put away for life. self defence is not a crime and making them illegal will not stop badly intentioned peoplle from using them.

It is in the UK, and some other countries as well - in the UK only the Police and criminals are allowed to have weapons :)

(At least the ones the government have decided to ban, many martial art weapons were developed from innocent items, to avoid historical weapon bans)

Nigel Goodwin said:
It is in the UK, and some other countries as well - in the UK only the Police and criminals are allowed to have weapons :)

(At least the ones the government have decided to ban, many martial art weapons were developed from innocent items, to avoid historical weapon bans)

Well last week in the paper I saw a comment from our esteemed facist prime minister saying that in his opnion no-one in Australia should have the right to own a firearm. What with the Govt's record with Indoesnia they could or any country walk right on in our country and what resistance can our un-armed population do to stop them. After all 99% of our troops are out of the country doing bush's dirty work and no wonder we're not called the lucky country any more.:mad:

Maybe not the 'lucky' country, but still the 'lovely' country. Well, better than this shabby island we call the UK anyway. Or should that be YEUK?

We use the X26 Taser over here now as it has been evaluated and has passed the tests. Thats at least until somebody dies from it. Hmmmm? Gone from shock lighters to Tasers. Getting a tad off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back