Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you solder components on a PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jab99407

I'm looking for some tips on how do you solder components on a PCB.

The soldering tip should be touching the pad or slightly above the pad ?

One side of the component has soldering tips so how to apply the soldering wire, should it touch the soldering tip?

The way I do it with through-hole components, which may not be the best but seems to work, is to hold the soldering iron tip so that it simultaneously touches the pad and the component lead while applying the solder. Seems to work well. Sometimes a bit of flux helps in making the joint pretty.

Reasoning: Both the pad and the lead have to be hot enough to quickly melt the solder and doing this by contact with the soldering iron to both the pad and lead seems to work best.

The way I do it with through-hole components, which may not be the best but seems to work, is to hold the soldering iron tip so that it simultaneously touches the pad and the component lead while applying the solder. Seems to work well. Sometimes a bit of flux helps in making the joint pretty.

Reasoning: Both the pad and the lead have to be hot enough to quickly melt the solder and doing this by contact with the soldering iron to both the pad and lead seems to work best.

That's pretty well the best way to do it - but I often touch the solder very briefly to the tip once it's in place, which spreads a tiny amount of solder across the PCB and wire, and promotes heat flow. Then apply the rest of the solder to the joint - either PCB, wire, or both - the tiny amount of solder from step 1 encourages flow to both PCB and wire.

I believe the original poster is talking about hand soldering throigh-hole parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back