Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I incorporate GPS into my product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sashvat

Hello everyone,

I am creating a tracker to trace the path a vehicle has travelled which needs a GPS system, it is for a small experiment I have which I might turn into a product. I don't know much about GPS, the electronics etc, I am designing a board that is 5cmx2.5cm and I need to have the gps module within that is it possible? What are the components I need to achieve this?

Thank you

I think You've used a Microcontroller for Your solution.
I would take a integrated GPS Receiver with included Antenna and an serial Interface e.g. from Manufactor ublox.
Nearly any Microcontroller has an Hardware USART for the serial signal.
With correction You can achieve a precision of round 2,5m.
Without that, normally about 10m. When US Military activates decoding about 100m.

The Module has to be choosen, what Features You want to have.

You also can use RTK compatible Receivers, but the service must be payed and You had to had an internet connection.
Accuracy is then up to 1cm.
In last Elektor ( German Version ) was a solution from sparkfun for a RTK Base Station and an Rover.

Hera a solution with Arduino:
https://create.arduino.cc/projecthu...terface-gps-module-neo-6m-with-arduino-8f90ad

I thought the US had committed to turn off the random part of GPS so accuracy is maintained.

Mike.

random part of GPS so accuracy is maintained
But it's a Military System and SA can switchend on any Time.
And EGNOS ( Europe ) is for free.
The Receiver with EGNOS are not too expensive so I would use such one - Depending of usage.

Doesn't the EGNOS system get its position data from the US GPS satellites?

Mike.

But it's a Military System and SA can switchend on any Time.
In 2007, the US government said that they never intended to turn on SA, and that their new satellites would not be able to run SA.
https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2007/09/20070918-2.html
The announcement in May 2000 said
Additionally, we have demonstrated the capability to selectively deny GPS signals on a regional basis when our national security is threatened.
However that is just turning it off, not adding errors.

They appear to do the equivalent of differential GPS. Ground stations relay the error to satellites so the receivers are more accurate. Or, that's how I understood it. Galileo is the European equivalent to GPS and appears to also be operational now and is non military.

Mike.

Base stations with known Positions measure the failure of the GPS Satellites and send it up to the EGNOS Sat.
I'm not shure but the American equivalent is WAAS.
Egnos send the correcton data back to Earth and so the GPS Receiver can get more accuracy.
This system built the same correction data for Europe and Northern Africa.
So there in no more Accuracy availible.

RTK calculates the GPS Satellite error for the Place where You are.
You had to had an Internet or an Radio connection for data exchange.
The correction data are only terestrical brodcasted.

I am using a GPS Module with Ceramic Antenna for DIY Handheld Positioning System for $9.99
https://www.dx.com/p/open-smart-gps...ino-apm2-5-flight-control-480918#.WiDKElWnH4Y

Without moving, the Latitude & Longitude numbers go up and down independently.
It seems like it is wandering around but stays within a 25 feet diameter circle.
I guess that is pretty good trying to triangulate my location from 3 or more moving objects in space.
That is not good enough for GPS controlled lawn mower.
It does a pretty good job at speed & heading.

Plot 1.jpg

Plot 2.jpg

I live about 15 miles from an airport but sometimes I am in the flight path. Someone said an airplane may have caused this issue.

Plot 3.jpg

It seems like it is wandering around but stays within a 25 feet diameter circle.
That's my experience too.
When use uCenter You can see how the Positioning wandering around.
I live far away from any Airport.

In my opinion the huge failures appear at a change of received satellites.

This is how differential GPS works. A fixed basestation can work out the center of the circle and hence the current error in the GPS system. This is transmitted to the mobile system to give it more accuracy. Before I moved into the city I considered making a robot grass mower using said system. One on a fixed fence post and one on the mower.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back