Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How Do I Hook Up This Audio Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

icom128

Hi. Could some one please tell me the correct way to connect this TY-145P transformer. I think the dot in the variable audio level schematic
indicates pin 1 start of primary & polarity. But I am unsure of how the other TY-145P pin numbers should be connected .
Thanks.
T INFO.png

Pins 1 and 3 are the input and pins 4 and 6 are the output. The dots indicate in phase. Your schematic shows pins 2 and 5 not connected to anything.

Thanks audioguru , I have attached another pic to see if I got the placement for pcb correct. As the datasheet seems to show its pins on the schematic different to the pin spacing drawing 6-5-4 look reversed on what would be board drill hole orientation.
Dont know if this matters for phase , as these things confuse me.

Thank you.
T INFO 2.png

The pins are numbered in a circle. The schematic of the pins shows that pin 1 has the same phase as pin 4.
Does the phase matter? you cannot hear phase unless there is another signal like in stereo.

Agree, you have to swap 4 and 8 on your superimposed transformer.

Not really - just swap the labels on E1 and E2 :D

Assuming there's any need to swap anything?, it's highly unlikely to make the slightest difference - but you could even put a double pole double throw switch on E1 and E2, so you could reverse the phase if ever required (it's fairly common on mixers, but rarely used).

Big thanks to all who replied, I will swap them round using one or the other suggested methods.
Can anyone explain how this 1:1 transformer gets the correct input phase on pin 1 & 4.
And an inverted phase if the input on pin 1 is connected to pin 6.
I would like to learn how they wind these to get 2 different phases. Is it simply that the primary is wound in 1 direction
and secondary is wound in the other direction ?.
Also how would someone find out the input start pin 1 - and pin 4 , if a transformer had no dot or pin numbers on them ?.

Thank you.

Nothing to explain really, as I mentioned in my previous post it's simply a matter of how you label the pins - I would expect most transformers windings are wound in the same direction?, if you want phase reversal just label the wires accordingly.

Thanks I only asked because most audio circuits on the web mention , "make sure you connect your audio + input to the pin near the DOT".
But some transformers don't have the dot mark on them , I have some here not marked.
Could I simply use a multimeter for continuity to find the primary start & end. and secondary start & end ?.
And not worry about phase.

Thanks.

Phase is VERY important if you have stereo or surround sound. If a signal and another similar signal are out of phase then they cancel. If a signal and another similar signal are in phase then they add and produce a total a little more than either one.

A multimeter or testing for continuity does not measure phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back