Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I efficiently power my project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik Dhar

I am new in the electronics field and require some guidance and help. I am building a gesture controlled robotic arm (4 servo)which is then mounted on a land bot (with 2 DC motors).The land bot is mind controlled by hacking an EEG headband. The arm and bot are running on two arduino unos.What is the most efficient way of powering my project ?

What voltages and currents are required by each of the electronics assemblies, servos, motors, etc?

ak

servos (x4) and dc motor(x2) - 5V and 2A .
NRF24L01 tx and rx - 1.9-3.6v and 15mA
arduino uno - 5v and 0.2 mA
arduino pro mini - 3v and >0.2mA
mpu6050- 3.3v and 0.14 mA

Most efficient is one 5 V 15 A power supply with heavy filtering for the motor outputs, heavy filtering for the electronics outputs, and a 5 V - 3.3 V regulator.

Mixing a 60 W of DC motors with a 0.1 W of uC is not a good idea; you should avoid it if you can. That means two 5 V power supplies, a big one for the motors and a small one for the electronics; plus a 5 V - 3.3 V regulator. The total 3.3 V current is so low that I don't think the added complexity of a switching buck regulator is going to get you much more efficiency, and it will definitely make more noise.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back