How do I check a small device with a meter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenScope

I bought a 110v voltage regulator a number of years ago on eBay. The seller (across the ocean) claimed it could be used with a one HP motor which is a bunch of bull. I thought it might be capable of slowing down an ordinary window fan but this regulator was lost for quite some time.
I'm not very good with multimeters so I thought you folks could walk me through it before things get shocking.

This device is about 3.5 x 4.5" inches and has 4 connection screws. How do I find the power in connections vs the power out ? Also, if I had a better understanding of the meter I could probably find the limitations of the device. Thanks

I do not know if you could find any useful information with a multimeter - I would look at the components if I had it to look at, to figure out the circuit and connections.

As I do not have one, I'll just cheat...

It's not quite what I guessed it to be, a thyristor or triac voltage-based controller for a "universal" type motor as common in power tools.

From the description it's more a phase control "light dimmer" circuit.

The connections are shown in that link; if in doubt, have a look inside and compare to the other photos.
Make sure you have an earth (ground) on the casing, from a three wire wall plug, just in case!

Thanks for your reply. I went to the link you gave me and they look exactly like what I have except the voltage is higher. What typical uses does this have ? What is meant by "Input L and Input N". If I don't really understand this I'm going to toss it

Attachments

• elec.png
    160 KB · Views: 184

Input Live and input Neutral, the two mains wires - but it's almost certainly just a simple thyristor/triac phase shift 'dimmer', only OK for incandescent lamps or Universal motors. It's unlikely to be any use with a fan motor, as they don't usually use Universal motors.

Edit:

YouTube explanation and schematic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…