Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I check a small device with a meter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenScope

I bought a 110v voltage regulator a number of years ago on eBay. The seller (across the ocean) claimed it could be used with a one HP motor which is a bunch of bull. I thought it might be capable of slowing down an ordinary window fan but this regulator was lost for quite some time.
I'm not very good with multimeters so I thought you folks could walk me through it before things get shocking.

This device is about 3.5 x 4.5" inches and has 4 connection screws. How do I find the power in connections vs the power out ? Also, if I had a better understanding of the meter I could probably find the limitations of the device. Thanks :confused:

Gizmo.JPG

I do not know if you could find any useful information with a multimeter - I would look at the components if I had it to look at, to figure out the circuit and connections.

As I do not have one, I'll just cheat...

It's not quite what I guessed it to be, a thyristor or triac voltage-based controller for a "universal" type motor as common in power tools.

From the description it's more a phase control "light dimmer" circuit.

The connections are shown in that link; if in doubt, have a look inside and compare to the other photos.
Make sure you have an earth (ground) on the casing, from a three wire wall plug, just in case!

Thanks for your reply. I went to the link you gave me and they look exactly like what I have except the voltage is higher. What typical uses does this have ? What is meant by "Input L and Input N". If I don't really understand this I'm going to toss it

Attachments

• elec.png
    elec.png
    160 KB · Views: 182
Thanks for your reply. I went to the link you gave me and they look exactly like what I have except the voltage is higher. What typical uses does this have ? What is meant by "Input L and Input N". If I don't really understand this I'm going to toss it

Input Live and input Neutral, the two mains wires - but it's almost certainly just a simple thyristor/triac phase shift 'dimmer', only OK for incandescent lamps or Universal motors. It's unlikely to be any use with a fan motor, as they don't usually use Universal motors.

Edit:

YouTube explanation and schematic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back