Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How did this none sense get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I bought a new volt meter 2V is 2000 mv. on the selector switch. Stupid.....2000 mv is harder to say, harder to type, harder to write. 2000 is confusing next to 20V I have to look twice to make sure its not 2000 volts.

I bought a new battery it says, 3000 ma. Stupid again, it is much easier to say and type 3A.

I looked on ebay for 3.2V batteries and found one for 13,500. ma it is much easier to say 13.5A. I am surprised it was not listed as a 3200 mv battery with 13,500. ma, WOW that makes it sound much gooder.

I know the Marketing Department of some company started this crap. Most people don't have a clue that 3A = 3000ma. 3000 sounds much better, more powerful, more gooder, less worser, and more better.

The company will sell more of the more better batteries won't they.

Last edited:
It could have been an attempt to remove the radix point from the discussion.
It's not on the level of 'spelling of the name of element 13' or 'voltage from the wall-plug', but it's geographically-changeable and a bit contentious.

Hi,

Actually using 2000mAhr instead of 2Ahr makes it easier to compare batteries. Most companies have always used mAhr for the smaller cells because they started out at a time when the batteries had much less capacity. Long time ago there was no such thing as a 2000mAhr battery for a rechargeable. They were maybe 500mAhr and 750mAhr which would have been weirder to rate as 0.75 Ahr because of the decimal point. So it's mostly due to the history of batteries as they started to gain capacity. You'll note that the larger batteries are actually rated in Ahr because they were always larger in capacity so there was never a 500mAh one, or that would have been rare if there was one and certainly not in the same general category.

So if you look up lead acid batteries you'll usually find them rated in Ahr, but for the smaller cells they will be rated in mAhr normally because that was the way it started out. So now if a company comes out with a 2500mAhr cell they want to state it like that so it is easily compared to the lowly 2000mAhr cell, and that may seem like a gimmick and it may be so, but it also makes it easier to compare cells of the same basic type and size. There are variations though.

As far as the meter face plate however, that's entirely strange. For some reason they did not want to put "2v" on it and that would have been simpler and less lettering. But i see no reason for a gimmick there, just probably a less informed graphic arts designer doing work that stems from another field of study. They didnt get it right because they just didnt know any better and the design probably did not get checked properly before release either.

Unusual specs like this come up now and then. It's strange sometimes but i guess you just have to get used to it. BTW i have a meter that has 2000mv on it too and i think it is just strange. It's a cheap meter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back